#30 : James' Confession

Harry stopped his car right on front of James's residence which already seemed very crowded. Many vehicles are parked and occupied the yard space. Harry turned to Taylor who sat next to him. Taylor looked very beautiful tonight, in a red dress that Andrea had prepared, knowing that Taylor wouldn't prepare her own look for a party.

"Are you okay?" Harry asked worriedly.

Taylor had been silent for the whole car ride, without uttering a single word. Harry knew how Taylor is feeling. Taylor liked James in a different way and Harry knew that clearly. Harry knew that the moment when James kissed her cheek at the hotel. 

"Taylor, if you're not ready, we can leave." Harry said softly.

Taylor finally looked up, striking her sapphire-like blue eyes at Harry. Harry held his breath. Taylor is really beautiful tonight. No, Taylor always looks beautiful. But, tonight is different. What makes her gorgeous is probably her hair. Yes, that was probably it, Taylor let her straight blonde hair fall down her back. Looking so beautiful. Taylor shook her head and smiled faintly.

"I promised James that I would come. Besides, we've arrived here, so there's no going back, right?" Harry nodded and immediately took off his seat belt.

Taylor did the same thing. Harry got out of the car and opened the car door for Taylor. She was quite impressed with Harry's gentleman-like actions. Harry just smiled at her, dimples forming at the ends of his lips. Harry offered his arm to Taylor and she hesitantly put wrapped and interlocked her arm around Harry's, before finally, stepping into the James' residence.

Arriving in the room, several invited guests looked at Harry and Taylor, as if they were a newlywed couple who had said their sacred promise. Taylor frowned and whispered to Harry.

"I hate to say this, but you always steal a lot of attention, Harry. Every time I'm with you, I'll go along in your limelight." Harry raised an eyebrow and chuckled.

"I'm not sure if people in Nashville know me and I've never felt like I'm the center of attention, and I'm not the reason why we're being the center of attention."

"So what?" Taylor asked in surprise.

"You and I are the center of attention, because you and I are look good together." Harry answered casually. Taylor could feel her cheeks heat up, along with the turmoil in her stomach. Harry always finds a way to make Taylor feel like something was fluttering inside of her.

"Taylor, is that you?" Harry and Taylor's short conversation stopped when they heard a voice. Taylor turned and found the host of the party, standing a few steps away from them. Taylor pulls Harry closer to the host of the party.

"Emily, Congratulations!" Taylor said, removing her arm from Harry's and walked towards her, hugging the girl with long brown hair. James, who was standing next to Emily, gave a strange look to Harry whilst Harry simply ignored James. Harry's eyes only focused on one person, which was Taylor.

"I didn't expect you to come! James did informed me that you were in Nashville. Sorry I haven't been able to see you. I'm busy preparing for this party." Emily said cheerfully. Taylor smiled.

"It's not a problem, Emily. I understand."

And then, Taylor walked closer to James, who was standing next to Emily. Taylor bit her lower lip before hugging James briefly while patting him on the back.

"Congratulations on your engagement, James. I'm happy for you." Taylor said as she pulled away from the hug and James nodded slightly.

"Emily, can I talk to Taylor privately? I'll be back as soon as possible." James told Emily.

Taylor gave James a look of protest, however, Emily just nodded her head. James gently pulled Taylor's hand away from the crowd. But before the two of them could be separated from the crowd, Taylor gave a 'wait here, I'll be fine' look at Harry, who was quietly standing. James brought Taylor inside his empty and quiet house. The engagement party was held outside the house, precisely at the back garden of James' vast house.

"What do you want to talk about?" Taylor asked as she jerked away from James' tight grip on her hand, James sighed.

"Taylor, didn't I told you already that I dislike that man? Why did you brought him to the party?"  James asked, Taylor folded her arms in front of her chest.

"I thought I was free to bring anyone to this party and didn't I also told you that I was free to meet and make friends with anyone?"

"I don't like seeing you with him." James said firmly.

"And I don't care. Now, let me rejoin my friends at the party. Well, enjoy your own party, James." Taylor said firmly before turning and walking away.

James looked at Taylor in frustration. He took a quick breath and let it out slowly. James walked quickly to Taylor and took her hand. Before Taylor could fight, James had pulled her into his warm arms. Making Taylor unable to move from his tight grip.

"Tell me if you don't want this engagement to happen, Taylor. Tell me if you don't want me to be with Emily. Please, say if you love me. I'll cancel everything." James said softly. Taylor squirmed and tried to push James' chest away from her, but James didn't let go of his grip around Taylor.

"James, what are you doing? You have to go back to your party! Back to Emily!" Taylor said, but James shook his head.

"Taylor, please listen to me just this once. I love you. I loved you for a long time. But I didn't had the courage to tell with you. I don't really love Emily. She's just my escape from you. When you went to London, you don't know how broken I was. Now, you came back, I won't let you go again." James tightened his arms and Taylor shook her head, trying to push James away from her.

"James, let me go! You have to go back to your party!" Taylor orders, desperately trying to get away from James' arms.

"I don't want to let you go, Taylor!" James insisted.

"James. . . please! You have to go back to Emily!" Taylor pleaded, desperately trying to push James away from her, but James did the opposite.

He increasingly tightened his arms, making Taylor slowly run out of breath, not until someone suddenly pulled Taylor away from James.

James gasped and squinted when he saw Taylor, who was beside the curly-haired man who he had never expected. Harry embraces Taylor and Taylor puts her arm around Harry's waist, trying to make Harry her shield.

"I thought it was very clear to you when Taylor asked you to let her go. And that means you have to let her go from your life. You'll be having a new life with the girl you're engaged with." Harry said while James chuckled.

"Why do you care? And you have no right to say anything about me and Taylor." Harry chuckled back.

"I really don't have the right to say anything about you because I don't know you well. And Taylor? Well, I know her very well and I have the right to say that." Harry emphasized. Taylor hid behind Harry's back.

"I'm her best friend and you're nothing." James said mockingly. Harry smiled sarcastically.

"But at least I'm not a friend who continuously hurts her, just like you."

"You don't know anything!" James snapped.

"And I'm honestly not interested in knowing anything." Harry said casually and put his arm around Taylor's slightly trembling shoulders.

"Do you want to leave?" Harry asked gently to Taylor. Taylor nodded meekly.

Without waiting for any reply from James, Harry guided Taylor out of the party. Taylor's hand continued to curl around Harry's waist, while  Harry wrapped his arm around Taylor's shoulder, signaling that nothing could hurt ever hurt Taylor if Harry was around her.