Chapter 1

Huh, huh, huh.

My feet sank in the mud my toes gripping the dirt before it went splashing in the air. I pushed on, my feet not giving out even with the sticks and stones breaking its skin from underneath. I glanced back in my heist only for my eyes to scan the dark forest before I looked back and pushed on. I ran, dodging large oak trees in the deep dark forest. My face was slapped by a wet tree branch with the leaves leaving my skin sore and red. Tears streamed down my cheeks as the harsh cold winds brutalized my skin leaving it dry and sore but I did not mind any of the pain that surged through my body, all I wanted was to get away, to get away from him.

My foot tripped over a large root and my body was sent flying down to the ground with my face buried in mud, I rolled over and got up in such a way it looked like something from a matrix movie. I ran faster and faster stealing a glance behind now and again. My heart was beating from my throat finding it harder and harder to breath but the adrenaline and flashing images of what would happen to me if I was caught kept me pumped up. Beads of sweat trickled down my body sticking some of my silky black hair on my face while the rest went bouncing on my back as I ran through the foggy forest. My white flimsy dress was torn; dirty to the point of no return. As I ran my right knee buckled sending me on the ground finding that it was slip slope only for me to slip and roll down. My body went flying, hitting the ground hard only to bounce off repeating the process over and over again until my head hit a sharp rock sending a lightning bolt of pain all over my head as I bit down my tongue to hold back a scream.

My body was thrown into a bush, I lay there as all my eyes could see were blurry trees as my heard pound against my skull leading to my teeth clenching with my hand slowly making its way to my head only to bring it to my face and hold back a sob as the tiny hand was completely covered in blood. My whole body violently shook at the amount of blood I saw, tears rolling down my cheek doing nothing to sooth the burning skin. I stood up only to fall with the bush scratching my skin to no end. I stood up again my legs shaking as if they would snap, I tested them with one step then another and another until I broke into a jog fearing that my enemies would close on me soon. Each time my feet touched the ground there was an impact to my body that sent my mind in excruciating pain. I would not give up, I told myself as I broke into a run and gradually increased the pace. I ran faster and faster not knowing where I was going but hoping that I would come across someone somewhere. I did not run in straight line as a way of deceiving the enemy but took turns now and again.

The way started to get blurry as it became hard to put one foot in front of the other. Everything hurt and my fears were confirmed as I tumbled to the ground with a thud. Getting up was something that seemed impossible so I started crawling and crawling tumbling down a few times but getting up again. I could definitely taste the mud in my mouth, practically eating it. I crawled on the way getting blurry from the dam of tears that had collected itself in my eyes. Harsh breaths left my mouth with my heart so sore and its rate going slower and slower; a feeling of death creeping its way to me slowly but surely.

My head shot up from the sound of water that my ears picked up, it sounding like a river or stream so I crawled harder and faster with the sound getting louder and louder. I continued on and it felt like forever to get there and the hope I had seemed to chip away as I crawled on and on to see nothing but trees. With a new surge of energy I tried to get up on my shaky feet which led me straight and down the forest and just as I was about to cry out in frustration I saw a river with water running down in a fast currency as they spilled over the banks.

I submerged a foot inside and almost screamed out loud as it felt like needles were poking it over and over again. I took a deep breath and put the other feet in the ice cold water to have a sharp pain go through to my throbbing head as another tear slid down. I walked across the river, my whole body violently shaking. My body wanted to rest on the floor for a while but I knew that if it went down it would not go up again so I closed my eyes only to walk on after opening them. I walked to what seemed to be miles and miles of the dense forest. My thoughts could not help but drift back to the blood, so much blood painting everything that I held dear. My frame bent over as the contents of my stomach emptied in the bush nearby with a sob hitting my body hard.

"How could he?" I asked out loud as if putting the question out there would solve it.

"How the fuck could he?" My voice was shaking, my whole being shaken at the revelation. I cried harder clenching my stomach wanting nothing but to crawl on the ground and find solitude there.

I heard shuffling from the forest as my eyes went dead staring at the spot, I did not wait long before turning and running for dear life. I ran faster and faster as my heart drummed in my ears with nothing being heard over it. I ran faster and faster until I could not see anything in front of me with the thought that I would fall but not being able to slow down. I changed direction to the right almost falling as I took the sharp turn and dashed faster with every part of my body protesting but adrenaline giving me strength to push on. I ran faster and faster as a rain drop fell on my forehead followed by another then another until it was just pouring all over me. It made it hard to run as my foot kept slipping and slipping on the muddy ground none the less I tried my best running with branches slapping my face now and again as the wind got stronger and harsher. I found it hard to see, my eyes crying and sore from the harsh winds that seemed to be heading the opposite direction that I was.

My body was sent down with my ass hitting the ground first, my forehead so painful I bit my arm so hard to hold in the pain. I could feel the blood tricking down my fore head. I opened my eyes, stinging tears threatening to fall and looked up to see what I had hit only to gasp and quickly get on my feet.

"A wall fence," I said to none other than myself. My sore body long forgotten as I looked back and quickly looked around on how I would get in before they found me. I looked at the wall fence to see that there is no way I would be able to climb it so I looked around for my eyes to land on a tall tree just a few yards away. I ran to it and started climbing only it was wet and my feet kept slipping leaving blood all over the tree from my cuts. I held on digging my fingers in the tree buck cutting my hands in the process. I climbed and when I could see in the compound my heart almost exploded. I t was indeed a large stylish cottage, as I surveyed I saw four large bull dogs, drool slipping from the corners of their mouth making a string to the floor. They looked vicious and I questioned myself if I would really do this. I closed my eyes and leapt over before I could change my mind. I fell hard on the ground as I heard something pop. My chest rumbled as I groaned from all the pain surging through my body.

Another growl was heard not far from me before the dog went charging towards me with nothing but a promise of pain and death. No one had to utter a single word as I rolled over the ground and half ran, half limping towards the house, I turned to look behind me and the dog was at my heels already snapping its long sharp, drool-covered teeth. As I looked ahead I could see another one coming further towards my direction. I pushed on faster and faster, the adrenaline numbing the pain from my ankle and knee. My heart felt like it would spill out from my mouth. I took a sharp turn to collide with a red massive door where I started banging on it while frantically looking around with the now three beasts getting closer and closer. I banged harder and harder and as the large hound jumped up to snap my head off I tried my luck and pushed down the knob with my hand while my hip pushed on the door only for it to give out and open wide. I launched in and closed the door behind me only to close my eyes and slide down the door with tears of happiness slipping down my cheeks not believing that I finally found safety

Or had I?