Chapter 64

I watched as Alex slipped on the diamond bracelet in my hand, it was beautiful, so beautiful I had to suck in a breath with the rays having it sparkle. My eyes were filled with tears, the lace diamond veil which had been going with the diamond dress was clipped on my hair, feeling it float on my back and Rafael's mother's necklace lay around my neck cooling it down having me feel so nervous and so beautiful.

"Thank you Alex," I said with his thumb going to my chin and just cupping my cheek, I stared at his eyes wondering what he was thinking. Our relationship was so weird, just when I thought he was like a little brother he did something that had me wary of his feelings. He was weird, yet somehow I was so comfortable with him even with his weirdness. The door suddenly opened, my eyes trailing from Alex to a woman who came walking in.

The woman looked to be in her early fifties and her outfit told me that she was someone important while the pin of Russia's flag told me she was political. I turned, smiling as she walked in with her eyes moving from my face to the dress. The beautiful woman seemed not to believe, the smile on her face getting wider and wider as she got so close, grabbing me into a hug where I was quick to hug back.

"Hello my dear, you look so beautiful, is that .....is that?" Her words fell as her head lowered again with her stepping back still looking at the dress.

"Oohh, and the necklace." She said again her hand going to touch it before looking up at me with her smile having my heart falter. I could hear the soft sound of an orchestra not far away, the sun about to set it just being the perfect time with the sky set in so many different and beautiful colours, the temperature now cool with a breeze kicking in now and again.

"Yes it is," I said back her hands grabbing my arm as I did the same, she looked to be excited as I was and nervous at the same time because lord it felt like my heart would escape me.

"I am Sarah, the president's wife and Rafael's Godmother." She said having me gasp as I was quick to hug her again.

"Nice to finally meet you. Thank you so much for coming, you are basically the only family Rafael has." I said as I pulled back with tears in her eyes making mine fill up too.

"We would not miss it for the world, we are not that close, we actually first met him at his parent's funeral but we love him like our own." The woman said with my tears getting the best of me.
"Oohh dear, it's still too early for us to be crying right now, you look so beautiful and the dress, she would have loved you. There was nothing she loved more than her boy and it is just sad how..." Sarah trailed away more tears sliding down my face as the words had my heart ache. I wished she was here, wished she could see the man her child had turned up to be. My hand went up, wiping away the tears.

"Sorry for being so emotional." Sarah said having me sigh and laugh.

"Thank you for coming." I said to her as I hugged her again, I felt so connected to Rafael's mother at that point, felt as if they were all just watching from heaven and springing down blessings. My heart beat so loud and I could not wait to just see Rafael, could not wait to hold his hand and smile.

"Well, I had come here to say that everyone is ready then I went talking and talking." Sarah said having me brush her arm and nod my head, she turned around sure to give me one last look before walking out and leaving the room. Silence befell after, my hands shaking along with my whole body, my heart was at my throat now feeling as if I would faint. A large hand suddenly grabbed mine and I turned to look at Alex who gave me one of the best smiles, there was no way I was not calming down. I smiled back at him, squeezing his hand before hooking my arm to his. The girls brought up the veil and my face was covered.

"Thank you so much, I am looking forward to seeing you at the wedding." I said to them, turning to give them a smile, I really did not know where I would be without them. They smiled back, nodding their heads.

I turned back around taking a deep breath before taking the first step. My heart was hammering in my ears now, I felt like I would faint, and the way seemed to be so long. The elevator doors opened and we walked out. The front door was thrown wide open with red rose petals on the steps creating a path leading us to the wedding place. There was no one in sight, even the guards were nowhere to be seen. The cool breeze had my veil move about my face, me breathing so loud I could see my breath. Everything was blurry all around me, I could see decorations, flowers and all but it was all blurry. My palms were sweaty, holding on tight to Alex who was not saying a thing. We followed the trail.

The soft music stopped playing and for a whole second there was nothing but silence, silence so loud it had me sweat buckets. My head dipped up, the chairs suddenly in view and at that moment a voice came. It was the softest and the sweetest voice I had ever had then others joined and oohh lord my heart could not have it. It was as if angels were singing with a violin accompanying them making magic, it was as if I was in a church from long time ago with those boy choirs that sang so well you felt like crying. White birds were flying all around, flowers everywhere it being so beautiful. A tear escaped, sighing and trying so hard to keep my heart at bay because I swear I would soon faint. We got to the edge of the chairs and everyone suddenly stood up. We paused for a second before moving and the gasps were heard having me clutch tighter to Alex. I could feel the long trail of the dress, could feel it moving forward and back like a large body of water. I could not breathe, could not see or do anything for that matter and I knew Rafael was just there yet I could not look up, my heart was too much, my nerves were too much and I just could not look up. Whispers and gasps were heard, so many people I am sure Rafael had invited the whole world, and cameras were flicking with seeing that there were even reporters. It was truly big and lord I loved big and glamorous.

Alex suddenly stopped, my hands shaking so bad as I clung to him.

He slipped his arms from mine, my head looking up to stare at him as he lowered his head and placed a kiss on my head having me tear up. Lord I could not bear through so much emotions, I just kept on tearing up more and more. His hand was soon replaced by another and I knew who it was. Rafael helped me up the two steps and I turned, my head back staring down with him grabbing my other hand. I could not breathe, could not think, I felt like I was having an attack of some sort.

The beautiful song stopped, shuffling being heard with everyone taking their seats. I could see his expensive looking black shoes, I could see his pants, wanting to see all of him yet scared. I could not believe we were here, lord knows where we were coming from. I remembered the first day we had met, he had scared the living shit out of me, the day he dragged me to his car and burned his house. I remembered how he had kept on banging his hands on the wheel until they bled, how broken and hurt he was, how he would always be intoxicated and those nightmares where he would scream and scratch his face off. More tears came rushing down. I just could not believe we were here, everything that happened seemed like a century away yet it had just been months away. I took a shaky breath and a hand was suddenly under my chin, bringing my head up.

I looked up, my eyes meeting his bloody ones, I could never forget them, could never forget that face. The way he would always wear his hoodie and that awful beard he kept. I stared at his eyes seeing all the memories play through. My heart for him, it cried out for him. He seemed as dazed as I was, his face full of so many emotion with no one saying a thing. My hand slipped to his arm then shoulder with him soon pulling me in a hug. I laid my head on his shoulder, just staying there and closing my eyes with me finally being able to just breathe. His scent wrapped all around me and I felt like home. Everything all around us was so quiet you would hear a pin drop and it was like everyone was just holding their breath.

"I love you." I said feeling all the emotions having me tear up again.

"I love you too." He said and I could not help it, the tears just slipping, a wide smile on my face as I pulled away, my hands on his arm with him kissing my forehead and everything was complete. I took a deep breath, sniffles being heard from those sitting down having a shaky laugh escape me as I sniffled myself trying to get a hold of my emotions.

"We are gathered here to witness the love and binding of Likhwalethu Melissa Rosewood and Rafael Vintagè, we are witnesses and supports of the commitment they share with one another. Together we are a group of the most important people in their lives and they have brought us here to publically recognize the role we share today. Speaking of most important people there were none important their parents but we are sad today at that they have all left us and may their souls rest in peace." The pastor said having me bow my head with us so close our foreheads were leaning on each other for that second as I took a deep breath having the feeling of loss wash over me as I squeezed Rafael's hand with him doing the same.

"Marriage gives permanence and structure to a couples love. It's a way of saying that no matter how hard life is, no matter the war we face, we will be in it together. A good marriage must be built on the foundation of this commitment. In a marriage the little things are the big things, it is to remember to say 'I love you' at least once a day, never going to sleep angry and standing together, facing the world. The road that has brought Likhwalethu and Rafael has not been easy. It has been filled with challenges that they weren't necessarily prepared for but together they have taken each one on and have used those experiences to strengthen their love. The bride and groom have prepared their own vows now who wants to go first?" The pastor asked having me laugh along with some in the crowd. My laugh was a nervous one though. I had not written anything, wanted to just speak them from the heart yet my nerves were having me sweat right now.

I looked up at Rafael and he looked like he was constipated having me burst out laughing, well I guess I was going first. I took a deep breath, my hands held steady in his which I was grateful. My heart was beating from my throat and my voice was stuck. I cleared my throat over and over again yet the nerves were just getting worse having me sweat like a pig.

I looked up, my eyes meeting his as he stared at me, my heart skipped a beat, forgetting about all the people around us and just disappearing in his eyes. I stared at him, my feelings nearly having me choke as a tear escaped my eye.

"Rafael I just want to firstly thank you, in all the months we have spent together I never thanked you for saving my life. I came rushing into your house, having climbed a bloody wall fence. I ran in and closed the door and I even still remember how dark it was, every part of me was bleeding having just seen something that haunts me to this day. You nursed me back to health and when my brother came for me you took me away, leaving your safe haven for me. You are one of the most beautiful people I know. Even with all that you have went through, even with the hand you have been dealt deep inside you there is this beautiful person I fell in love with. You are my rock, you are my anchor and when things were so bad." I closed my eyes, the tears flowing down as the pain washed over me, my voice shaky with my lips quivering.

"Things were so bad, I had just lost my parents, had seen them brutally murdered but you were there. It was never easy for us, we have been fighting and fighting to just survive for so long yet in all our battles we still found something so beautiful. We found love and I promise you now that I will forever love you, my heart is yours and only yours. You are my family, you are my soul, my love, my all and I truly believe that without you I would surely seize to exist." I swallowed, the tears so much, just flowing as I slipped my hand from his, wiping them away from my burning cheek.

"So I just want to thank you for everything and I don't know what the future has in store for us, I don't know where we will be in the next month but I promise to fight for you with all I have because without you I have nothing." I finally said, not being able to say anything else as the emotions hit hard. I could not see a thing, my eyes burning and he was quick to bring me to his chest with his arms circling around my form. He held me tight, the emotions leaving me shaking.

It was time before I pulled back, my head held up trying so hard to will the tears away, even the pastor was wiping at his eyes and the sniffles from the crowd were heard. I took deep breaths, my hands fanning my face and Rafael was quick to take out his pocket square.

"Thank you," I said, wiping away the tears with it but they just kept coming. It was a minute before everyone settled again and Rafael stood still with his face like a canvas painted with emotions, his hands were shaking and I was quick to take them into mine, bring them to kiss them through the veil. A ghost smile graced his face having me smile back encouraging him to go on.

He opened his mouth only to close it. He shook his head, looking away and I squeezed his hand, seeing him have such difficulty with his feelings. It was so painful to watch, my own tears pouring out as I stared at him. My hand let go of his, moving up until I was cupping his face, his burning face having me cry even more. I stared at him, forcing him to stare back at me. His head bent down and our foreheads met.

"Its okay, its just me." I said, my eyes closing as I took a deep breath with him doing the same. I open my eyes, pulling back with a smile gracing my face as my hand slipped back to grab on his.

"I grew up with a lot of hate in my life, the only love I had was from my mother I was never allowed to see. I was so broken, the thought of ending my life was just all I could think about those days, buried myself in a bottle to try and take away the pain but it never eased. You are truly an angel sent from the heavens, I truly believe that for you saved my life. I could not breathe, could not sleep and all I felt was pain yet you came and helped me live with my pain. I don't think I would still be alive if you had not ran in my house that day, I don't think I would have seen another day if you had not came charging in my life. We were so bad for each other and you knew it yet you stayed on. You carried my weight when you had your own to carry, you made me a person again, fought for me even when I did not want to fight for myself. Your heart is so pure and you wear your heart on your sleeves knowing that it could be crushed yet you wear it anyway. Even when you knew about my past you never left me, you are always there. You always put others before yourself like how you would eat less so I could have more, like how you would always check on me during the day, making sure I was okay. I don't know what I have done to deserve you, I will forever be grateful and I love you with every bone in my body. You gave me a home, a home I had never had, gave me a reason to live and fight. I fight for you my love, I breathe for you and I can even die for you. You are my heart and know that every day I will come back to you because you are my home."

His eyes were glassy and I was done for, tears never seeming to stop as I stared at him silence passing by with the both of us lost in our web. My hand went up and cupped his cheek with him clearing his throat trying to get a grip on his emotions. My heart had swelled having it beat even faster. The pastor cleared his throat, taking a deep breath himself ad shaking the feelings off. My hand slipped from Rafael's face and rested on his waist, shaking to no end.

"We will now exchange rings to symbolize their commitment. Rafael please take Likhwalethu's hand and repeat these words."

"I give you this ring as a symbol of our love for today and tomorrow, and for all the days to come." The pastor continued.

Rafael pulled out a ring with a large diamond on top nearly having me gasp.

"I give you this ring as a symbol of our love for today and tomorrow, and for all the days to come." Rafael repeated.

"Wear it as a sign of what we have promised this day and know that my love is present, even when I am not." The pastor said again.

"Wear it as a sign of what we have promised this day and know that my love is present, even when I am not." Rafael said as he slid the ring in my ring finger as I watched, my other hand to my mouth with the tears just flowing down. When the ring was full in he brought the hand up and kissed it having me stare at him with such love nearly having me explode.

"Likhwalethu please take Rafael's hand and repeat these words."

"I give you this ring as a symbol of our love for today and tomorrow, and for all the days to come." The pastor continued.

Someone poked me at the back and I turned, seeing Alex holding a ring for me which I took whispering a thank you before looking back to Rafael with his hand in mine. My whole body was jittery, could not believe I was putting a ring on it.

"I give you this ring as a symbol of our love for today and tomorrow, and for all the days to come." I repeated.

"Wear it as a sign of what we have promised this day and know that my love is present, even when I am not." The pastor said again.

"Wear it as a sign of what we have promised this day and know that my love is present, even when I am not." I said as I slipped the black and silver band in his finger, taking my time and making sure it was set alright because hell he was never taking this thing out of his finger if I could help it.

"Do you take Rafael to be your husband, to live together in the covenant of marriage? Do you promise to love him, comfort him, honour him and keep him in sickness and in health and forsaking all others, be faithful to him as long as you both shall live?" The pastor asked, directly looking at me as I carefully listened to his words.

"I do," I said with a shaky voice, my head turning to look at Rafael as the words slipped from my mouth with a smile gracing me.

"Do you take Likhwalethu to be your wife, to live together in the covenant of marriage? Do you promise to love her, comfort her, honour her and keep her in sickness and in health and forsaking all others, be faithful to her as long as you both shall live?" The pastor asked again.

Rafael was staring at me all through the words, my eyes captured by him.

"I do," His voice was deep and rough.

"By the power vested in me I now pronounce you husband and wife, Rafael you may kiss your bride."

I froze, my heart hammering with everything disappearing. I watched as his hand came up ever so slowly, my lower lip trembling feeling as if it was the first time he would see me. The veil was slowly pulled up, my breath shaky as he threw it back and there I was staring at him and him staring at me. It seemed the whole universe started spinning with his hand cupping my cheek, his thumb brushing on my cheek bone as I leaned to his warm and moist hand. My eyes looked up at him, taking him in as if I was staring at him for the first time and I fell in love. My eyes trailed down to his scarred lips and they never left. His face came down, our lips brushing on each other as my eyes went closing with me flying, he kissed me once then twice and I was gone. My body leaned on his , kissing for a few seconds before our lips slipped and my head was soon buried in the crook of his neck hugging him so tightly as my eyes stayed closed, taking in his scent, taking him in.

"Its my great honour and privilege to be the first to present to you Mr and Mrs Vintagè." The pastor's voice was loud and clear, the crowd roaring with claps and well wishes.

I stayed where I was, holding on tightly with my head buried even further. My heart was having too much to deal with as a tear escaped followed by another. The cheers kept coming, flowers thrown on us and at that moment the lights all over the yard switched on and it was heavenly. I took a deep breath, shifting back from his neck and taking a step back while my shaky hand wiped away my tear. I turned, my body tucked under his wing as he placed his lips at the crown of my head. There were a couple hundreds of people, clapping and cheering with the flowers just keeping on coming and birds let loose to flat their wings around.

It was magical and I had cried too much on this day yet I could not stop as I buried my head in Rafael's side before looking up again, smiling and crying all together.