Chapter 6 (EDITED)

My body jolted up, my eyes frantically searching the room as my chest violently rose only to fall. My hands were trembling as the reminder of the dream slowly slipped from my mind, leaving me holding in a sob at the realisation that it was not really a dream but a memory.

The room was as dark as the word itself. I sat in the bed trying to calm my heart while wiping away my tears. I did not know what time it was but knew that sleep was long gone from me. The cold sent my lips quivering as I lifted my legs from the bed to the ground. I stood up, stretching my body as one by one I pulled the blankets off making my bed, well it was not really mine but more like a borrowed bed. When done I went into the bathroom, opening the water finding them as cold as ice.

"Hell no," I said to myself, deciding to only wash my face, brush my teeth to bath later. I went to pee, the pee so warm to the point that I groaned as it passed warming me up. I wiped and flushed, standing up to make my way out of the bathroom to the closet where I moisturized my face before pulling on thick socks along with sweatpants and a sweater. My feet carried me back to the bathroom where I emptied the rotten contents of the dustbin washing it after before filling it with water and soap. I took a towel nearby and began cleaning from the bathroom.

The sun was just rising as I stood by the door having wiped the whole floor even in the living room and dusted the furniture leaving it sparkling clean. I could not help but beam as I looked at my hard work, who knew it felt so good to be so useful. I went to the bathroom, emptying the bin, washing it before placing it back in place.

The windows and curtains were wide open as the cool breeze cleansed the room of the awful smell it carried. I walked out, standing on the balcony watching as the bright sun rose up the sky. Its warmth flood all over me with a promise that everything would be alright, that no matter what,each and every morning it would be here to greet me and give me its warmth. I walked back into the room leaving the doors open as the sound of singing birds graced my ears leaving a ghost smile on my face.

I walked out of the door with determination, I would make this work and there was nothing that could stop me from that. I walked into the rooms near, opening the windows so that fresh air would circulate reducing the intensity of the smell. When done I went down stairs, it was dark, the smell at its peak there where you could just never get used to it.

I opened every window feeling the air rush in along with light. I continued moving from room to room, bringing more light and air in. I had just opened the front door when my eyes fell on him. The mystery man lay in the couch that he had intensely been staring at the previous night. His head lay hanging from the couch making my own neck ache as I thought of the pain he would be in when waking up. A bottle of whisky hung from his hanging right hand.

Throwing all the whisky bottles would be my first mission today, I thought making my way to him. His hoodie was still intact hiding his face from the world with the bush of a beard being the only thing that was being seen. My heart beat fast in my chest as I got near and near, afraid that he would wake up and find me so close. I took one step at a time, making sure to not wake him up. There was nothing I wanted more than to peer at his face that had been tucked away at the deepest part of my mind, not sure if it had been real or a dream. I stood in front of him feeling as if I was breathing too loud, feeling as if my heart was so loud it would wake him. Slowly, I extended my hand as I took a cushion right next to the couch. I held my breath, kneeling down in front of him seeing the outline of the lower pink lip giving me assurance that he was really a human. I brought the cushion up slowly as I was about to raise his head so that he would not break his neck.

"Touch me and I will cut off that hand." His voice came low yet shar. I jumped in fright, the cushion falling from my grasp with the hand on my chest trying to catch my breath as I thought I would die from fright. I watched his body collapse to the floor with a thud.