Chapter 26

It was twenty minutes later when I finally saw the guard that had escorted me to the dining room, figuring that since he had been guarding my room then it would mean this was my room. I pushed the door, it giving away, walking in and closing the door behind me. My whole body was shaking as I leaned on the door, fighting back the tears, the pain just up to the neck suffocating me. I did not want to be a burden, did not want someone to cry because of me. Her words kept ringing in my ears.

I don't want my kids near her.

It puzzled me because she is the one who invited me to dinner. I swallowed the lump in my throat shaking the pain and tears away. Walking into the dimly lightened room I went to the pedestals opening the drawers moving on to the other side opening the drawers until I found my phone sitting there sighing at the sight of it. My shaking hands grabbed it, going to my contacts and pressing the call icon. The phone was brought to my ear hearing it ring over and over again with no answer. I shook my head trying over and over again finally giving up and settling for a text, my fingers glazing over the screen as I typed the text pressing send after.

Lethu: Can you please send a car or someone to get me tomorrow. Please.

I read it waiting for a reply, the phone slapping my palm over and over again just waiting for confirmation only to get none making my anger spike. He was such an ass. I sighed, hoping he got it. Walking to the bathroom I took a piss then walked back, discarding my clothes going to the closet where my bag was, pulling out my silky night dress and slipping it on before slipping in bed, my mind miles away, my chest heavy, a lot having happened in this day leaving me just wishing I could have died.

I rolled my eyes knowing I was being dramatic but it was not nice, it really was not nice for people to just hide their children at your sight as if you are a criminal or something. Maybe she had her reasons but it still did not make it nice on my side. There was nothing for me to do at this point but wait, feeling my eyes droop even with my stomach protesting but the edge to sleep was more powerful, rendering me unconscious in minutes drowning in my own personal hell.

My eyes flew open, frantically searching the room, body drenched in sweat heaving heavily. My chest was so painful I was left paralysed where I lay, feeling it move all over my body with such an intensity it had my lips quiver so hard fighting back the tears as I took the pain using it to make me stronger. I would take the pain, would take the pain and let it wash over me because then I would be stronger, because then I would know better than to just let people in my life. With all the strength I had, I rolled off the bed sitting up, my skin pale as I stood up, my legs shaking yet I made my way to the bathroom taking a shower then coming back pulling up a pair of jeans I had packed, a shirt and denim jacket really hoping Rafael got the message.

When all was done with my hair pulled back in a ponytail I made the bed, making sure everything was perfect and in place. With everything done I had no other option than to sit on the bed legs crossed as if I was meditating earphones plugged in blasting music so loud my head throbbed even harder yet I did not care listening to Kiana Ledé-crazy. My eyes closed letting the music wash over me as I got lost in her voice, letting her take me to a place of peace, a place where I could breath.

You know the thing whereby you have your earphones on yet you just know someone is suddenly in the room with you. My eyes flickered open to lay on the lady that wore a grey uniform moving a cart filled with food at the foot of the bed, making me tear away the earphones not wanting to be rude.

"Thank you," I said politely feeling too sad to smile yet I did it anyway.

The lady that looked to be around her late forties with her hair which was just starting to grey, looking tired from a whole life worth of work, wrinkles showing on her face yet she held a wide smile that was just so contagious finding mine growing wider.