Chapter 51

The sun had sunk over the horizon yet the streets were still lit up you would swear it was midday. The cool breeze had kicked in, caressing my skin and having me sigh. It was a beautiful night, with a clear dark sky where the stars twinkled so bright. The moon was up and beautiful. I took a deep breath with my head pounding. I wanted nothing more than to just sink in the arms of my fiancé, yes him.

My heels clicked on the paved ground yet going unnoticed with the city buzzing even more than during midday. Fast cars drove past us, people walking in groups, carrying bags and paper bags. It was healing for me to just walk the streets, it was soothing and at this point I needed it.

My eyes drifted to the woman next to me who walked with the guards behind us. My arms felt as if they would drop, it was a lot of paper bags and I just did not even want to imagine how exhausted the guards were from carrying three times the bags we were carrying. My heart ached, pain having it throb for so many different reasons. I was torn, sad and angry at the same time but most of all I was scared. I had been told straight to my face that the man I loved with all my heart would soon fall never to get up. How do you even get back from that? The mission for them was clear, kill Rafael and everyone that stands with him.

I swallowed hard with my mind busy, playing the conversation over and over again. Stress weighed on my shoulders, making me feel as if I would drop to the floor, claimed by a heart attack. How would we survive this? It seemed we were backed in a corner. The truth was, only one man would come out standing here and it was now a question of which one. With all Harley had gone through she deserved her happy ending, Klaus was her world but having them kill Rafael was something I don't think I could survive.

I felt the tears well up and blinked them back. I didn't want to lose him, would not lose him.

The elevator doors opened and we stepped in, the music in the background having me more depressed than I already was. I leaned on the reflective mirror with my eyes closing. My head was throbbing so bad it had my eyes red as if they would pop out. The doors opened again and we walked out to the deserted passage. The hotel was one of the best in the country and everything in it was just breath taking. We came into a halt in front of Harley's door. She opened her bag and pulled out her key card which she swiped with the door, unlocking it. She opened the door and we ushered in the deserted room. It was clean as if no one was occupying it. I went to place the bags near the bed with her and the guards doing the same.

The tension between us was so intense yet there was nothing that could be done about it.
"Do you want me to help you unpack, it will get done faster if we just throw ourselves on it." I said imagining the work she would do just sorting it out.

"No Lethu, thank you." She said trying to smile but it was futile, having her resort to just nodding. I stood there wanting to say something but there was nothing to say. We had not spoken much after all the words that had exchanged. She had accused me of threatening her husband which I had not been doing.

"Have a great night, see you around." I finally said only to turn and walk to the door.
"Same to you." She said back as I gave her a wave and was out, closing the door behind me. I could not help the breath that escaped me as the door closed shut. My hands went through my hair with my head ponding as if someone was hammering from within. Every inch of my body throbbed and I just felt as if I would collapse. The hall began spinning and I just couldn't.

I could not lose another person I love in my life.

With much effort I took a deep breath and walked to my room. I pulled out my key card and swiped it hearing the door unlock only to open the door hoping Rafael was in there because his arms was all I needed. I just wanted to see him, hear his voice and feel his touch against my skin. The door gave way and I stepped in only to freeze with the door swinging shut behind me.