Part 29

It was now next week and Friday night dinner and we were eating in silence and the grandma looks at all of us, "everyone's awfully quiet tonight." We all look up from our plates, "sorry, mom I'm just tired." I nod, "us too -- school." Mom nods, "work." Rory nods, "life." Mom smirks, "dig it, man." I smirk back, "peace out, Humphrey." We then go back to eating and Grandma looks at all of us, "mystery. Well, this is just ridiculous-- three intelligent women sitting here in complete silence. There must be something to talk about. Do you know that every night at dinner, that the Kennedy clan would sit around the table having lively debates about everything under the sun? They would quiz each other about current events, historical facts, intellectual trivia. Now the Gilmore clan is just as smart and worldly as the Kennedys so come on-- Somebody-- Say something."

Mom looks up, "did you know that a butt model makes $10,000 a day?" Me and Rory stifle a laugh and Grandma sighs, "Camelot is truly dead." Just then we hear Grandpa shout, "Emily!" She responds, "in here. Just follow the crickets." Then he walk in, "I'm sorry I'm late, but I come bearing wonderful news." Grandma stands up and walks to Grandpa, "Siri, bring Mr Gilmore a plate." Grandpa sits down, "I just got off the phone." Grandma looks at him, "would you like to change first." He shakes his head, "no, no, no, I'm fine." She then interrupts him again as she gets his napkin, "Siri, Mr Gilmore is hungry." He gives her a look, "Emily, I am perfectly capable of putting a napkin on my lap." He takes it from her and she goes back to her seat, "alright, I'm sorry. You were on the phone..."

He nods, "long distance." Mom turns to him, "God." He shakes his head, "London." Mom furrows her eyebrows, "God lives in London." He shakes his head, "my mother lives in London." Mom interrupts him, "your mother is God?" He tries to stop her, "Lorelai---" She keeps going, "so God is a woman... and a relative. That's so cool. I'm gonna totally ask for favours." He looks at us, "make her stop." Rory sighs, "if only we could"

Grandma decides to get thinks back on track, "you spoke with you mother." He nods, "yes, I did. She's fine, she sends her love, and... she's coming to visit." Yes one of the founders of the brigade is coming here. The last Gilmore that went to the brigade other then me, I can't wait to meet her. Granma grabs her drink, "what?" Mom smiles, "your kidding." I have a big smile on my face and Rory jumps in, "I'm gonna get to meet my great-grandma?" He nods, "Lorelai the first." Grandma frowns, "when?"

No one answers her and mom turns to us, "I was named after her." Grandma puts down her drink, "Richard, when?" He ignores her and turns to us, "you're gonna love her. She is brilliant. Absolutely brilliant." Mom nods, "we share that also." Grandma raises her voice, "I'm asking a question here. does no one hear me? Am I suddenly invisible?" We all turn to her, "I'm sorry Emily, what was the question?" She puts on a fake smile, "when is you mother arriving?" He nods, "a week from today. I'm telling you girls, it's going to be such a treat." Grandma stands up, "excuse me." Mom smirks, "I still can't get over that I'm related to God. It's going to make getting Madonna tickets so much easier."

I zone out their conversation about great-grandma in the car. As soon we get home I walk over the phone with mom behind me and play Finn's message, "I'm so sorry. I wanted to be the one to tell, look I love you Christy. Please talk to me." Then it ends and mom holds my shoulders, "your gonna have to delete it some day." I nod, "I know, just not today. I'm gonna go to bed." She nods and kisses the top of my head as I leave and go to bed.

It was Friday and I was in a group with Rory, Paris, Madeline, Louisa, Tristin, and two other guys I don't know the names of. Paris was leading the group, "I think that the basic structure of the Elizabethan government is relatively sound. The division of power between the monarchy, privy council, and the parliament all seem to work. Agreed." We all nod, "agreed." She nods, "okay, so in the establishing our own government, I think duplicating a similar structure would be good. With a few alterations." She continues to talk but I zone out and cross my arms, I then go to turn the page and mine and Tristin's hands touch. We both quickly pull them away from each other.

I look to see Rory glaring at Tristin and then giving me a look I zone back in when I hear Paris say my name, "Christina, Tristin, what about you?" We look up, "what?" Paris gives me a look, "you two can be the king and queen." I shake my head and so does Tristin, "us? No." I nod in agreement, "yes. No." Paris gives us a confused look, "why?" I try to think of a reason as he says, "because..." I jump in, "I just don't wanna be queen." He nods, "me either. King-- I don't wanna be king."

I point to Paris, "what about you? You be queen. She shakes her head, "I'm gonna be the head of parliament. I can't be queen." I don't give up, "be both." She huffs, "I can't be both." I give her a 'really' look, "why not? It's our government." She shakes her head, "it's not done that way." I nod, "it can be. let's vote. Henry VIII stared a new church when the old one wouldn't allow divorce." She turns to be, "he also cut off his wife's head. Is he still your role model." I lean back in my seat, "Paris calm it, I'm just saying we have the opportunity to make any kind of government we want here." She gives me an annoyed look, "why won't you be queen?" Madeline puts up her hand, "I'll be queen." I smile, "there, Madeline can be queen." In the end Madeline was queen and I just zoned out the rest of the lesson. Turns out we are here all weekend as well so that is fun. Not.

As I get up last Tristin picks up my book, "so, do you think we should talk." I walk out of the class with him behind me, "talk about what? Look Tristin, let's at least try to be friends before we try anything else." He nods, "sounds good to me. I think I saw your sister leave her book, I'll be back." I nod and watch him go back in class and Rory was soon walking in that direction. It is now the end of the day and Rory walks over to me, "where were you we are gonna miss the bus." She gives me a shy smile, "I was talking to Tristin." I cross my arms, "why would you do that." She sighs, "because, I was telling him to date Paris to get him off your back." I huff, "you are unbelievable, we decided to be friends you dingus. Come on lets get home." She nods and we get on the bus.