Part 34

I dried off and got changed. Me and Noah take a limo back home. After it drops Noah off it drops me off. I get out and walk into the house. "honey I'm home!" I hear mom shout back, "in here!" I dump my bags on the floor and walk into the kitchen. "hey mom." She looks me up and down, "you drank last night." I scoff, "I was not." She shakes her head, "I know you. You broke my rule, we will talk later. Go to your room." I do as I'm told and when I do my phone rings.

"hello?" "Christina hello. Do you have a minute? Your sister told me you just came home." I lay on my bed, "yeah sure grandma." "now I know this will probably seem silly, but I was wondering what you favourite colour is." I sigh, "I don't really have one, but I guess pinks good." "okay. what about flowers? Do you like flowers? What ones do you like the best?" I look around my room, "roses I guess." "roses it is. Now what about music?" I shrug, "I'm not that into music." "okay, what about make up." I smile, "yeah I like make up." "wonderful." "are you writing this down?" She hums, "maybe." "what for?" "you'll see. I'm look forward to dinner on Friday." "me too. Bye." "bye-bye."

Mom and Rory go out but I stay home because I'm grounded. I mean I didn't come home hungover or tipsy, so I technically I went along with the rules. Oh well what can you do, I wonder why grandma asked me all those questions.

It's now Friday night dinner and this week has been good. All my friends from the brigade keep on telling how much fun they had and they can't wait for the next one. I guess I did a good job. Grandma opens the door, "hello, hello, hello!" We all smile, "wow! mom, hi. Uh, check the rubbing alcohol." Grandma ignores her, "how was the drive?" Mom nods, "the drive was fine." Grandma doesn't stop smiling, "good." Mom looks round her, "the foyer looks great." Grandma stops her from coming in, "I have a surprise for you." Mom jokes, "the rest of the house ran away." I nudge her and grandma says, "no. Girls follow me." She takes our arms and leads me and Rory inside and I hear mom say, "okay, so... I'll follow you, then."

She leads Rory into her room then turns to me, "that door opposite is yours Christina." I nod and open then door to find the pinkest room ever. (Room above.) Grandma walks over to me, "you come round after school sometimes, so I thought you should have your own room." I nod and hug her, "thanks grandma. I love it." She smiles, "let's go see if dinners ready." I nod and me and Rory go downstairs.

The dinner we silent we just eat occasionally speaking about the food. We were now back in Stars Hollow walking and I turn to mom, "you're awfully quiet." She looks at me, "I am?" Rory nods, "she's right, you hardly said anything at dinner." Mom plays it off, "I was chewing." I shake my head, "You didn't say anything on the ride home." She gives me a small smile, "I was concentrating. I feel I've gotten sloppy with this whole '10:00 and 2:00 hand position' thing. The other day, I caught myself doing a 9:00 and 4:00." We look her and both say, "mom."

She keeps going, "if uncorrected, that'll lead to a 6:00 and 12:00. Or, worse, an 8:00 and 11:00, which is not only dangerous but damn uncomfortable." I give her a really look, "talk, please." She sighs, "I... Just wish sometimes that certain things could be different." Rory turns to mom, "like what." Mom smiles, "like, um... wouldn't it be great if once, just once, I could make my mother hear me-- I mean really hear me, even if it was just for one second." We look ahead and Rory asks, "are you talking about the rooms?" Mom puts an arm around us, "the room, the potting shed, my entire life after age 6."

Rory looks down, "it's my fault." We both look at her and mom shakes her head, "how is it your fault?" Rory sighs, "I shouldn't of taken her there. I just though if she saw how we lived and how pretty it was with the lake and the swans..." Mom nods, "that she's do a happy dance." I give mom a look and Rory continues, "that she'd feel included, and then, maybe..." Mom finishes her sentence, "the whole 'me running away' thing wouldn't be such a big deal? Oh, honey. Me running away from them is always gonna be a big deal. There is nothing you can do to change that."

I turn to mom, "can I ask you a question." Mom nods, "yes, I would date Steven Tyler." I shake my head, "can I ask a question whose answer won't horrify me? " She nods, "oh, go ahead." I smile, "you think you and grandma will be able to talk about everything you've gone through?" Mom shakes her head, "no." Rory gives her a look, "you didn't even consider it."

"Sorry. No." I drop it but Rory doesn't, "why?" "because it would just end badly." "It doesn't have to." "it would be like the first fifteen minutes of 'saving private Ryan.' At least those guys were in France." "you've never tried." Mom shakes her head, "that's not true. I have tried. I have tried my whole life. But my mother and I, we speak a different language. I talk, I think I'm being clear, and all she hears is 'blah, blah, blah, ginger.'" "but if you won't talk and she won't listen how will anything ever change." She shrugs, "I don't know." They go to Luke's but I decide to go to home instead needing to sleep.