Part 36

Instead of going home we ended up in a taxi and now we are outside our grandparent's house. I ring the door bell and we wait, soon grandma opens the door, "Rory! Christina!" We give her a small smile, "hey, grandma." Her face softens, "girls, is everything okay?" I nod and lie, "everything's fine." Grandma turns and yells, "Richard? Richard, pay the cab." He yells back walking to the door, "cab? Who took a cab?" He walks in reading his newspaper when grandma says, "Rory and Christina did."

"well, what's the girls doing here? Hello, Rory, Christina." He looks from the paper and we give him a small wave, "hi." Grandma sighs, "I don't know what they're doing here. Pay the man, and I'll find out." He walks out saying, "oh, for Pete's sake." Grandma ushers us in, "come inside."

She leads us to the living room, "now, tell me-- what is going on?" Rory looks down as I say, "we had a fight with mom." We sit down and she asks, "you had a fight with your mother?" Rory nods, "we just couldn't take it anymore. We had to get out of there." She sits next us, "out of your house." We take off our bags and I respond, "out of that house, that town, everything." Rory nods, "we just had to go."

Grandpa walks in saying, "he tacked on an extra $5 just for waiting. I fell like I'm back in Prague. Do you want a cocktail?" I shake my head, "no thanks." Grandma looks at him appalled, "Richard!" He looks at us, "oh, sorry, sorry. I'm just a little confused here." Rory looks at them, "you're all dressed up." I nod, "You were going out. We're so sorry." Richard continues to pour his drink, "oh, please, don't be." Grandma sends me a smile, "it doesn't matter Christina." Rory shakes her head, "no, We're sorry. please go out. We didn't mean to ruin your evening. We didn't think. We should've called."

Grandma puts her hand on our shoulders, "now you two calm down. You do not need to call before you come here. You are welcome any time." Grandpa sits down, "tonight especially." If I wasn't in a mood I would find it funny how much he didn't want to go to some party. Grandma ignores him, "do you wanna talk about what happened."

Grandpa squints his eyes at her, "Emily don't pry." She shakes her head, "I'm not prying, Richard." He shakes his head back, "they obviously needs some peace." She looks at him, "how do you know that." He shrugs, "I can tell." She scoffs, "oh, you're a mind reader now. We'll get you a turban and a little booth at the train station." Rory was looking at her hands and I speak up, "would it be okay if we stay tonight?"

She nods with a shocked face, "well, of course." Grandpa nods along, "you can stay here as long as you like." Rory gives them a shy smile, "thanks." Grandma turns to us, "would you like some dinner? Rosa could make you some." Rory shakes her head, "no, this I'd like to just go to bed." I nod, "same here if that's okay." She smiles, "of course. Whatever you two would like. Your rooms are all ready. There are pyjamas in the dresser and a new toothbrush in the bathroom. They are both pink-- with sparkles. I thought you two would like it." We both say "thanks." We hug them both goodnight and go to our own rooms to get ready.