Part 40

It's the day after Max proposed and me and Rory have been taking about it non stop with mom. I can't have breakfast with the so I have to leave Rory to annoy mom the rest of the morning. (outfit above.) I walk to Miss Patty's and meet her and Noah there. Today is the day we have to go to the meet thing. We get in Miss Patty's van and she smiles, "your gonna do great sugar. Now Noah can I trust you to drive the car." He nods, "yep it's fine. Good luck with those morning classes." She laugh, "God knows how I'll do it with out you, now get." We laugh and drive to the arena.

Once we get there we grab our bags and walk into the hall. We see people stretching and getting ready. We walk to the changing rooms and put on some simple work out clothes. This time we don't know a single person here. Looks like it's all new people, which will make this ten times more fun if you ask me. We go out and everyone stands in a circle, we end up going last and we made it count. You know what they say, save the best for last. (dance above.)

After the dance I got changed back in my normal clothes and people had started to mingle. (Outfit above.) Two people walk up to us, "hey, I'm Kaylee and this is Josh. We're from New Heaven and you guys were so good." I smile, "thanks, I'm Christina but call me Tina and this is Noah. We're from Hartford." Josh nods, "so you're rich." I laugh, "no, actually we live in a small town just out of Hartford called Stars Hollow." Kaylee let's out a sigh of relief, "thank God, last year we had these two spoilt brats. I can't remember their names." I nod, "let me guess, Vanessa and Ryan." She nods, "you know them." Noah laughs, "yeah, we stopped doing this two years ago so they started to win." Joshes eyes widen, "wait a minute. Your the Christina and Noah." I laugh, "I guess so."

After talking some more with everyone we head home. Turns out we are every well known because we were the only ones who won state and came in the top three in nationals. It had never been done before us so there's that, also turns out the couple we lost to at nationals had to drop out. The girl Sandie broke her leg two weeks ago so he had to drop out. Even though it is sad at least now we have a better chance at winning. Now that would look good on a collage application.

It's Friday night dinner and we just pulled up to the house. Me and Rory get out but see are mom isn't. I walk in front of the car, "everything okay?" She nods, "yeah. I'm just tied to the emergency brake." We walk to the car door and Rory looks in, "how did you do that." Mom shrugs, "oh, you know -- with a flourish and a big ending. Okay I got it. Let's go. Oh, my coat." I put my hand on my hip, "it's pretty warm out for a coat."

She leans back in for her coat, "yeah well, it tends to cool off the minute I get in that house." I close her car door, "are you good?" She nods, "I'm good. My keys." She goes bag to the door and grabs her keys Rory groans, "mom..." I shake my head as mom says, "they're in the ignition. Okay, I got 'em. Let's go." We then finally start to walk to the door and I look mom up and down, "what is wrong with you?" She shakes her head, "nothing." Rory sighs, "you got lost coming here." Mom huffs, "I took a wrong turn." I shake my head, "six times." We stop in front of the door, "my self-preservational instincts at work."

"and the coat and the keys." She interrupts Rory, "I got stuff on my mind." I smirk, "Max stuff?" She shakes her head, "no -- stuff stuff." I don't loose my smirk as I say, "you're lying." "I'm being mysterious that's what women do. Oh, look, doorbell. Pretty sound." I laugh and Rory pouts, "you make me tell you what I'm thinking." She huffs, "yes and the lesson we've learned is you should never become a spy."

Then the door just flings open to show grandma and she was the widest smile on her face ever, "Your here! Richard, they're here!" We hear him say, "wonderful." Grandma tries to usher us in, "come in, come in, come!" Mom pulls a face, "uh... no." Her face falls slightly, "why?" Mom looks at us before saying, "'cause you're scaring Rory and Christina." She smiles and drags us in, "oh, stop that! Get in here! 'Scary Rory and Christina' -- you're so silly sometimes. Let's get you a drink. Put your coat down. Oh, and are you hungry? I had Antonia make some Roquefort puffs. Antonia, bring the puffs! Come, sit down. Sit down. Richard!"

We hear grandpa yell back, "say nothing until I get there." She yells back, "well, hurry up!" Mom looks at her, "mom, what's going on?" Then she pushes us to the sofa and mom yells, "oh, the nails, the nails, the nails!" We sit down as she walks to the drink station, "so, tell me what's new with you girls." Mom looks at us with a confused face as she says, "uh... nothing." Rory looks over and grandma and say, "hey, grandma, what about you? Did something special happen?"

She turns to us with a smile, "well, as a matter of fact... Oh for goodness' sake! Richard, damn it!" Mom sighs, "mom, why don't you just tell us what's happening now?" She sits down, "oh, alright. I can't wait any longer. Well... You know I'm very good friends with Bitty Charleston, the headmasters wife. Well, we have this little arrangement where she keeps me apprised of the goings-on at Chilton. You know, she tells me gossip on the student and their parents and any information I might find useful. Well, this afternoon, she called to tell me the class list just came out, and Rory and Christina has finished in the top 3%!"

Mom nods, "I know." Grandma's face falls, "you do? Who do you know at Chilton." Mom point to us, "um... Rory and Christina." I smile, "It wasn't definite, but I had a pretty good idea." Then grandpa walks in, "girls! Wonderful news-- you finished in the top 3% of your class!" I hold in my laughs as mom says, "yeah, J. Edgar Hoover here was just telling us." His face drops, "what? I told you not to say anything before I got here!" Grandma shrugs, "well, you took too long."

Mom shakes her head, "no, no, we already knew." He goes to get a drink, "it's a simple request." Grandma shrugs, "just hang up the phone." Mom interrupts their argument, "it's good new either way. Let's all agree on that." Grandpa nods, "I am immensely proud of you, girls." Grandma smiles, "yes, we knew you could do it." Grandpa grabs a chair, "ho ho, we certainly did" Their smiles are kinda creeping me out, "we have to celebrate. Next week, we will have a special dinner." I nod and Rory says, "all of your dinner are special." I look at her and smirk and she just shakes her head at me.

"well, this one will be extra special. We'll make all your favourite foods, and you can invite some of your friends." I see mom looking at her fingers and moving her ring. I smirk then grandpa say, "presents might be involved." I shake my head, "you don't have to, really I mean it." Grandpa shakes his head, "for the top 3%?" Grandma nods, "we most certainly do." The Grandpa says, "you start late, have to catch up, and by the end of the year, you've overtaken everyone. True Gilmores."

Then we walk through to the table and mom stays back, because she had to call the inn or so she says. We were eating our salad and Grandma was still talking about the top 3%, "I am so thrilled about this. Do you think you'll get a certificate? They should give you a certificate or plaque. I'll talk to Bitty about that." Grandpa joins in, "I can't wait to tell Telman McCabe about this. Oh, he's always bragging about that simpleton grandson of his."

Grandma nods her head, "William is a lovely boy." He picks up his drink, "his head's like a football." Grandma smiles, "it is not." Grandpa says, "if he fell asleep in the park, someone would punt him." Grandma was holding in her laugh, "Telman is very dear friend of yours." He shrugs, "yes he is, and one should always share wonderful news with one's very good friends." Grandma shakes her head, "you just wanna brag." Then mom walks in and we look at her, she smiles and nods. We scream, making grandpa spill his drink and we start to jump laughing in happiness.

We turn to them when grandma says, "stop that you three." We can't get the smiles of our face as we say, "sorry." I nod, "yeah sorry." We hug again and grandma asks, "what is going on." Mom clears her throat, "uh... I'm just really jazzed about this 3% thing." Me and Rory nod, "really jazzed." We then hug in joy again squealing.