Part 48

After we got back from the road trip the first day of school came quickly. I was doing a morning shift at Luke's in my uniform, and Rory was giving mom a stare down so she will eat faster. I mean she does know she has to wait for me to finish right? As I was pouring peoples coffee Taylor and some boy scouts walk in. I roll my eyes and go back behind the counter to refill the coffee.

Then Luke starts to talk to one of the boy scouts and like you can guess it doesn't go well, "get him away from me." I laugh, "Luke, I'm clocking out. Can I have free coffee." He sighs and points to the machine as he deals with Taylor. I get me coffee to-go, then I poke my head round into the kitchen, "hey Caeser, lunch please." He hands me a take out bag that Luke made me. I open it to see fries and a burger.

Then the phone rings and I hear people complain. Mom turns to me, "Chris, can you please get me some doughnuts." I shrug, "I'm off the clock sorry, but you can get them yourself." She smirks and walks behind the counter as I walk to the other side. Just then I kid walks up to Taylor, "hey, Mr. Doose, she's not supposed to do that." Taylor looks at my mom, "that's right. She's breaking the rules, and people who break the rules end up very lonely with no friends because they have become society's outcasts." When she's done mom goes back to the right side, "my daughter works here and she said I could. Ha! Anyway, planning on burning a little 'Huck Finn' after lunch, Taylor?" Just then Luke starts to yell down the phone and I decide to stay out of it and join Rory at the table waiting for mom.

I walk to my locker and feel someone tap my shoulder, "can I help you?" I turn around to see my dance captain Hayley, "yes you can, you see I heard your representing Connecticut at Nationals." I nod, "yeah I am." She sighs, "well, you had all of summer to tell me. Your off the team." My eyes widen, "what? Why?" She rolls her eyes, "I need one hundred percent from my team, you can't give me that. Now I need to go find someone else to do the solo. Good luck and nationals." She flicks her hair and walks away.

After that horrible encounter it was finally lunch. I walk into the music room and take out my lunch and the notebook mom gave me. I was just changing some parts in a song I wrote and I look up at the microphone. I take a deep breath and walk up to it. It wouldn't hurt to test it out here, would it? (Song above.)

When I'm done I hear clapping from the door, my eyes widen in panic and I turn to see a boy I've never seen before, "you were great. I'm sorry I wasn't spying, it's just I was walking past and I heard someone singing. My names Bradley Rose, I'm a transfer student from a small town outside of Hartford." I send him a warm smile, "I'm Christina but call me Chris most people do. I'm from a small town too, I was the you of last year with my twin. Do you wanna sit." He nods and we just eat and talk a little.

I walk into the diner and see mom and Rory already sat down. I was filled in on the whole Paris thing on the way home, I never got to tell her about the new guy. I got to know him for the rest of the day and I have loads in common with him. Also he's really cute, but I think we should just be friends for now. I do not wanna jump into something this quickly. I walk behind the counter, "Luke, I'm gonna go up and get changed." He nods, "okay."

I walk up and see a boy with black hair reading a book, "um... What are you doing." He looks up, "I could ask you the same thing." I put my hands on my hips, "I asked first." He rolls his eyes, "I live here, what's you excuse." I open my mouth to say something when Luke rushes in, "Chris, I forgot to tell you, my nephew Jess is staying with me. Jess this is Chris she works here." I roll my eyes, "whatever, I'm going to the bathroom to change and then I will be gone."

After my shift I head home and walk into the kitchen, "hey. How was work?" I shrug, "it was okay?" Mom nods, "so Rory told me about her day, but nothing about yours." I nod, "I know she told me all about hers as well. I got kicked of the dance team." Mom eyes widen, "what? Why?" I sit down, "that was me exact reaction. I was told by the team captain, because I was doing nationals I couldn't give her or the team my 100 percent attention." She sighs, "I'm sorry hun. Did you have a good first day other then that." I nod, "yeah I met the new boy. He's a transfer like me and Rory were. He walked in on me singing in the music room at lunch. We kind of just clicked." Mom smirked, "I want all the details." I shake my head, "you will get them when something happens. I gotta go to bed, night mom." I kiss her head and then make my way to bed.