3: Party

CHAPTER THREE

The Santos were hanging out on Oscar's lawn like the usual. Smoking joints, working out, chilling with their hynas, and drinking here and there. He sat with Cesar on the steps of their house. Their mom hadn't been home for days now but things weren't any different. Except the parties were more frequent.

Oscar took a drag of his cigarette before offering it to Cesar. "Dude, I'm ten," Cesar said making Oscar laugh.

"And I hope you stay that way, mano," he said before messing up his hair. Cesar hated it when his brother did that. His hair was his prized possession. There was no way in this life or the next would he allow anyone to shave his head.

Cesar started fixing his hair especially when he saw Nina exit their house. He had to admit that he was crushing on her. Every now and then he would find himself looking a little more presentable in his little cargo shorts just for her to notice him. Especially on those rare occasions where she went out.

Oscar found himself staring as well. It wasn't just when she left the house. It was also during those times where she would sit by the window and read or do whatever. There was even this one time where he caught her dancing around in her room. She had caught him staring and immediately shut her blinds.

Some of the cholos howled and whistled when Nina walked by. She paid no attention to it with her head phones on as she walked. She had learned from the last time.

Oscar continued to watch as she kept walking. Cesar saw how his brother kept staring even if she was nearly by the street's corner. "You're gross," Cesar said to his big brother.

"¿Qué?" He asked in confusion.

"Back off, Oscar! She's mine!" Cesar cried out to him in front of all his friends. Oscar tried to hide his laugh so he went along with him.

"I thought you liked your friend, Monse?" He asked arching his eyebrow.

Cesar became bright red after his brother mentioned his best friend's name. "I'm gonna go get more apple juice," he said hurried before running inside the house making the other cholos laugh.

"Lil' Spooky ain't wrong. You can't stop staring at her," his friend, Sad Eyes, brought up.

"Again, what?" Oscar stared at him.

"What he's trying to say is that girl Nina got you pussy-whipped, fool!" One of the cholos laughed before everyone began laughing as well.

Cállate!" Oscar snapped as the laughter died down.

"You could invite her again to the party tonight," Sad Eyes suggested as a means of a challenge toward his friend.

"It's not like she's gonna come anyway," he pointed out taking another drag. He wondered if that girl even knew how to socialize, let alone party. The last time he checked the only friends she had here were her sister and his little brother. That also included his brother's friends.

Sad Eyes shrugged. "So make Cesar do it then."

-

"Nina-"

"I don't care," Nina cut in Victoria. She'd just found out that Tony started dating another girl back in Washington Heights. The first thing she could ever think about was that it was none of her business given that they were broken up. Second, she was in dire need of a pint of ice cream all to herself.

"Did he tell you anything about-"

"No he did not and it's not my business. He's my ex, he can date whomever he wants. We agreed on that when we broke- why this full of Cherry Garcias?" Nina rambled going about the freezer. She digs in a little further and finally sees a pint of cookie dough and she tosses it into her basket.