14: Babysitting

CHAPTER FOURTEEN

Nina's comment about being friends might have gotten to Oscar a little bit. Of course he didn't want to stay just friends. But his actions was just making Nina more confused with what she was feeling.

Their routine remained the same though Oscar was more touchy-feeling when it came to Nina. He'd sneak a kiss from here every now and then which didn't help Nina's feelings. However she seemed to be more tamed about them now unlike the last time.

If Oscar was intending to play a game with her then she intended on play such until she got tired. Maybe then she'll be tough enough to finally tell him how she felt.

"I thought you were closing up tonight?" Oscar asked Nina as she started gathering her stuff and bidding Berto farewell.

"I can't. I gotta watch the kids tonight," she explained slinging her bag over her shoulder. "V has a date tonight, I promised I would help her get ready."

The two walked over to the Impala and got in. "Has this been the same guy for the past few weeks?" He asked starting up the car.

"Thats what she tells me. Apparently his name is Andrew. He seems okay," she answered making Oscar laugh a little.

"Why the disinterest?"

"I don't know him enough. I just want him to treat my sister right, you know?"

"Mos def," he moves the hand break and they begin to drive off.

"What do you intend to do with the twins?" He asked moments later.

"You make it sound like I'm about murder them," Nina joked. "I don't know, those kids do the most random shit to keep them busy," she added recalling the time the twins put on entire puppet show version of the Lion King to entertain themselves. Mostly to entertain Nina.

"Y-you should come over tonight. If you're not busy," Nina suggested. "They can't stop talking about 'Mr. Spooky the guy across the street'" she laughed at the nickname and so did Oscar.

"Mr. Spooky makes me sound like a piregüero," he joked making Nina snort.

"You would think a guy named Mr. Spooky would be so badass."

"Hey, I am badass," he nodded.

"Says Spooky, the guy afraid of ghosts," Nina insulted with a giggle making Oscar snap his head toward her.

"What did you say?"

"Cesar tells me shit you don't gotta know about," Nina bit her lip suppressing another laugh.

Oscar did his best to keep his eyes on the road. He tore his eyes of Nina who seemed to be distracting him at the moment.

"That kid's dead to me."

"Hey, lay off Cesar man he's just a kid!"

Eventually they got home and Oscar told her that he would just drop by when he could. Considering that he still had some business to attend to. Though the said business didn't take long enough to complete with a few of the cholos and cholas hanging out on his front lawn like always.

Oscar watched as Nina was trying to do her sister's make up from across the street. He liked it when he saw her happy and laughing. He was beginning to notice how she would wear her hair up when she would be working. First it was with his car, then the baking incident, now her doing her sisters make up. Plus all the other times where he would catch her reading by her window.

"Hey Spooky," everyone turned their heads to Crystal who was walking towards them. She attempted to take a seat on his lap but he wasn't having it.