36: And Happy New Year

I Love You by Billie Eilish
It's not true
Tell me I've been lied to
Crying isn't like you

Maybe you won't take it back
Say you tryna make me laugh
And nothing has to change today
You didn't mean to say "I love you"

CHAPTER THIRTY-SIX

Her small voice made Oscar look up. His blood had run cold seeing his ruca by the steps of the house. Nina's eyes were filled with pain of betrayal and his heart began to quicken. In his head, he could already see that this wasn't going to end well.

"Nina get back in the house."

"Was that Cesar?" Nina mustered the strength to approach him while the Santos were still barking at the teen who walked further away from the house.

"You're drunk. Get back in the house," Oscar repeatedly sternly but she wasn't having it.

"Not until you answer me," her voice trembled with anger as she was now face to face with. "Was that Cesar?" her eyes began to water. She didn't know if was because of the alcohol but she was beyond angry with Oscar.

"Nina, lets talk inside the house-"

"Answer me!" she yelled with tears threatening to spill. The boom in her voice caused the Santos to look over at the two of them. Even Cesar who was a little far away turned back for a second.

Oscar looked at Sad Eyes and gave him a nod. In understanding, Sad Eyes told the rest of the Santos to head inside the house. Oscar could barely look into her eyes as he kept his gaze on the pavement. Everyone knew in that moment how much he had actually fucked up.

With the sound of the door closing the both of them knew they were the only ones on the street. The block was quiet, but in a mere matter of minutes it was going to be the New Year and the streets would start booming with firecrackers and guns being fired.

"Was that Cesar?" Nina repeated with a choke as a tear had already escaped from her eye.

There was no turning back on Oscar's part. "Yes," he admitted still keeping his gaze on the pavement.

"Is it true you made Cesar shoot and kill Latrelle last month?"

"Who told you?"

"Just answer the question, Oscar. Please," Nina pleaded, wiping another fallen tear. "Don't you dare lie to me or I swear, Oscar, I will walk out on you right now," she threatened making Oscar finally look at her.

His worst fear was slowly coming true. "Nina," he called out softly as he tried to reach out to her. His heart only broke when she a step back.

"Just answer me, Oscar," she cried pulling away from him.

Oscar felt like crying, but he swallowed everything as he placed a hard expression on his face. "Yes," he finally admitted.

A part of Nina wanted him to lie to her again. Pretend that she had never walked out and found out the truth. Her chest became heavy as she slowly uncovered the truth. She began to cry even more.

"You've been keeping this from me all this time. You've been lying to me all this time," Nina realized as she harshly wiped her tears away. Her chest was clenching even more. The longer she stood in front of him, she harder she found it to breath.

"I was only trying to protect you."

"Bullshit!" she spat turning back to him. "You lied to me! What were you thinking handing him a gun? Killing another kid for the sake of rep?" she yelled as she pressed on the topic.