46: Grow Up and Be Kids

Grow Up and Be Kids by The Cab
Back then I'd live forever and grow old
I'd keep my friends warm when times got cold
I'd live forever and grow old
I'd keep my friends close
We couldn't be sold
Go on, go on, go on
And forget all this even exists

CHAPTER FORTY-SIX

Nina marched over to the Santos trap house and immediately pushed passed some of the cholos and cholas who were on the front lawn. Each one of them greeted her happy birthday. She said her short thanks before walking further into the house. Commotion was beginning to build when she entered the backyard as more and more people started greeting her but Nina only marched towards the grill where Oscar was.

"Is it true?" Nina called to him making him stop what he was doing. What was she doing here? Oscar thought. "Did you plan for them to come here and pay for their flights?" Nina pressed. Her voice was loud enough for him to hear amidst the music of the party.

"I don't know what you're talking about," Oscar answered her in a low tone barely even turning to look at her.

"Cut the bullshit, Oscar. V and Tony  told me everything," Nina replied making Oscar roll his eyes. The two of them literally had one job and that was to keep their mouths shut about his involvement for Nina's party.

Oscar sighed taking out the towel from his side. He turned to his friend to tell him to watch the grill as he took Nina inside the house and into his room for them to talk. It took awhile for Nina to realize that it had been awhile since she was last in Oscar's room. Oscar shut the door behind her but he couldn't seem to look at her in the eye just yet.

"So did you? Did you plan for all of this?" Her voice was calm and gentle. He'd expect her to be a bit more harsh meddling in with her birthday plans when she specifically told him to give themselves some space.

"It's a simple yes or no question, Oscar," she pressed once more. Her voice sounded like as if she was pleading for him to answer.

Oscar turned around to face her but he didn't look at her just yet. "Yes," he mumbled with his eyes fixated on the ground.

"Why?"

Oscar sighed as he took a step closer. "I thought of it for a long time and with everything that's happened between us I figured you could use something that'll make you happy."

Nina stayed silent as he explained his side. Oscar had avoided her the entire day and all he heard since Sad Eyes and his crew came back was that they had never seen Nina this happy in awhile. He was proud knowing this went smoothly and he had yearned to see her smile on her birthday up close and personal. Instead of that, he stayed away from her for both their sakes.

"Nina, I know you said that you wanted space and I'm sorry for messing with your birthday plans its just-"

Oscar was cut off by Nina wrapping her arms around him in an embrace. He was taken off guard by her sudden touch and warmth. The last time he held her like this was when they cried out to each other on the beach when he reeked of smoke and alcohol. Now that he was sober, he was beginning to get that same feeling of how much he had missed her and her touch.

"Do you have any idea of how happy you made me today?" Nina whispered. Her statement was followed by a sniff and Oscar knew her all too well to know that she was crying.

"You didn't have to, you know? You didn't have to do all of this," she added hugging him a little tighter. "You've made me the happiest person alive for doing this. Thank you, Oscar," she sniffed as Oscar pulls away a little cupping her face with one hand.