17: I'm Sorry

Right Here by Keshi
I think some words are overdue
Could we just do it over?
Can we talk it out like friends
Because I need your shoulder?

But if you are ever in need
And God has you down on your knees
And you do not know who to be
Then go on and come home to me

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN

A few days rolled around and Nina and Oscar had completely avoided each other despite living across from each other. There were no more rides to and from Freeridge. No more random moments fixing up his impala. And Nina kept her blinds shut. Not that she needed to considering that Oscar also refused to stay on his front lawn.

Even the bodega was quiet. Though some members of the Santos would drop by to get some stuff, Oscar didn't show up like he used to. Nina and the rest of the Santos members remained friends. The beef stayed between her and Spooky.

"So you guys aren't talking anymore?" Cesar asked as he placed a bag of chips on the counter.

"This is your second visit and second bag of chips today," Nina pointed out punching in the price of the chips. "$5.50," she said opening up the cash register.

"I just wanted to check how you were doing.... For the second time today," he gulped handing Nina the cash which she took gladly.

"I'm good. Nothing has really changed since you were here two hours ago," Nina handed him his change. "Do you want a-"

"I think, I'll skip the bag," Cesar sighed. "You know, you didn't have to defend me like that. I can take care of myself you know?" Cesar argued.

"I'm just saying that you deserve so much more than to be stuck here," she retaliated. "You're a great kid who deserves to make it out of here. Not getting further dragged into this shit."

Cesar couldn't agree more but with Oscar... Oscar was a different conversation. "He's Spooky, he's gonna cover my ass whether he likes it or not."

"Excuse me," another customer said making him move to the said.

Nina began punching in the items the other customer got. "And what happens when you're put into a situation where even your brother can't defend you. What happens then?"

"That'll be $45.50," she forced a smile at the young male customer. "Would you like a bag?"

He nods and hands her a fifty while Nina is quick on giving him back his change and items. "Hey, are you dating anyone?" He smiled making Nina uncomfortable.

"Piss off, cabrón," Cesar insults making the guy take his items and leave. "You're really hitting me with the hard questions," he tried to brush things off with a laugh turning back to Nina.

"I'm being practical. It's not like Oscar can cover your ass 24/7 whether he wishes to or not. What happens when someone puts a green light on you?"

"I'm Spooky's brother, I'll always have a green light on me whether I'm in the Santos or not," Cesar shrugs making Nina sigh. "He's Oscar, he knows what he's doing."

"That pendejo better or I'm shooting his balls off the moment someone lays a finger on you."

Her words caused Cesar's eyes to go wide. "Do you even know how to handle a gun?"

"I'm the daughter of two cops and my sister got violated by a Prophet four years ago. I'll let you finish the rest," Nina nodded and the teen's eyes widened for a split second.

"Nina, I appreciate you looking out for me but that's Oscar's job now," Cesar said while grabbing Nina's hand. "I'm going to be fine," he added to assure her.