24: Halloween

CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR

Oscar got Cesar to school just in the nick of time. Nina tagged along as Oscar was going to be dropping her off at the bodega. There was that and Oscar called her over that morning to help with Cesar's costume.

He smiled looking at his novia. "What are you looking at?" Nina blushed catching him staring.

"Estoy mirando a mi hermosa novia," Oscar smirked as Nina just shook her head fighting the smile growing on her face. She loved it when he spoke in Spanish.

Oscar chuckles and tucks a strand of her hair behind her ear before lightly placing his hand behind her neck to pull her in for a kiss. Nina simply melts the moment his lips are on hers. But again, their sweet moment had to be cut short.

"Off to class the both of you!" A lady yells causing them to pull away from each other. When they both turn to see who it was, the lady immediately realizes that they weren't students in the high school.

"Oh, my apologies. You two can't be here this is school property," the lady scolds making the two of them back away from each other. They were both trying to hide their laughter.

"Mr. Oscar Diaz is that you?" She suddenly says with such enthusiasm.

Oscar looks at the lady before realizing who it was. "Hola, Ms. Lopez," he greets with a nod.

Nina nods towards Oscar before looking away from him. Smooth work Diaz. Real smooth.

"How've you been? Its been some time since I've seen you!" Ms. Lopez says proudly.

"You look... good... better since the last time I saw you! How long has it been?" Her eyes were practically twinkling as she stared at Oscar. He was either his best student or this lady was humble when it came to favoritism.

"I haven't seen you since graduation," he pointed out causing his teacher to blush. "Ms. Lopez this my girlfriend, Nina," he introduces putting his arm over his novia.

"It's a pleasure to meet you Ms. Lopez," Nina gives her a genuine smile.

"G-girlfriend?" She stuttered. "A-ah yes! Nina hi. I remember you, you were the one who applied for the teaching job three years ago but didn't land the position," she regained composure and began to stare at her up and down, raising her eyebrow as she did so.

Was that supposed to be an insult?

"Yes, unfortunately I didn't get it because I lacked a college degree," Nina explained.

"Ah yes that makes sense, Freeridge High can only expect the best of the best," Lopez pressed making Nina feel a little iffy.

"Well, I think it was a good decision for me to stick to tutoring the kids from this school. Because clearly something isn't right in the school's system when they keep turning to me for help. It only brings me joy to know that my students meet success after each session," Nina commented.

"Tell me, Ms. Lopez, what ranking does Freeridge High School hold amongst the various public schools here in Los Angeles? Just out of curiosity?" Nina smiled as Lopez was rendered speechless. Oscar was smirking as he adjusted his seat and put his hand on the steering wheel.

"S-surely our rankings could improve thanks to your added help," Lopez forced a smile. "I'm sorry, what college did you say you were from again?"

Oscar tried to hide his smile thinking that his teacher was gonna win this against his girlfriend.

"I haven't mentioned it yet," Nina sighed also hiding the smile thinking this teacher had the upper hand. "But I landed a full scholarship to MIT. I decided to come home after a year to support my family," she continued with a smile.