39: Tony

Best Friend by Rex Orange County
And that's because I wanna be your favorite boy
I wanna be the one that makes your day
The one you think about as you lie awake
I can't wait to be your number one
I'll be your biggest fan and you'll be mine
But I still wanna break your heart and make you cry

CHAPTER THIRTY-NINE

"Y-yea, I'm fine," Nina sniffed wiping her under eye. So much for touch ups. "W-what are you doing here? I thought you were with V?"

"We uh-"

"Tío Oscar!" Nina heard the twins voices in the store. They sounded so excited to see him again. But up until now they still couldn't quite understand what was wrong between him and their tía.

"T-the twins seem to like him a lot," Tony blurted out awkwardly.

Nina placed her hand up on her lips as her heart ached even more. Her relationship with Oscar right now was going to put a wedge in his relationship with the twins. She'd have to tell them eventually that she and Oscar weren't okay. But she still wanted Oscar to remain close friends with the twins because in a matter of a few months, they had built a nice relationship with each other.

The door dinged again meaning someone just headed outside. In Nina's case, that meant Oscar had finally left the place. Not long later she saw Victoria coming into the aisle along side the twins.

"Alex, Penelope, go get what you want but don't talk to strangers," Victoria said sternly before the two of them ran off to greet their aunt.

"Tía, you cry again?" Penelope asked sadly.

"Is it because of Mr. Spooky?" Alex continued also saddened to see that his tía wasn't feeling okay again.

Nina only offered them a smile as she kissed the two of them on their heads. "Tía is okay. Now go listen to your mama," she managed to croak out but the two of them still stood.

"Papito, Lupita, go before I decide to go home," Victoria spoke authoritatively just before the two of them ran off into a different aisle.

"Nina, what happened? We just ran into Oscar. Is everything okay?" Victoria tried approaching Nina who only took a step back. "The twins wanted a few stuff and we figured we would bring you home," Victoria explained trying to get closer to her sister but Nina kept backing away.

"Well I'm closing up later so you guys should just head home without me," Nina backed away further. "Disculpe," she muttered before running into the back so she could calm down and cry a little bit more.

Once Nina was in the dark, she had her back against the wall and leaned her head back as she did so. Her chest heaved up and down as she tried to calm herself down. She was crying because she was hurting from seeing Oscar again and then there was that idea of him bringing up their future. It all just seemed so heavy on her chest, she wanted the feeling gone.

For the mean time, she sought comfort twirling around the locket he had given her for Christmas. It reminded her of the happier days when they were together. Days she could probably never get back to in the mean time. Even though it brought her comfort, it also carried another feeling of hurt by the mere memory.

~

"Baby, you got me so many things. What the hell?" Nina laughed as she went over her gifts coming from Oscar.

First he had gotten her a dress to make up for the one that his crazy ex destroyed a month ago. Then he had gotten her a pair of Nike Cortez so that they could be matchy. He also knew that she was into jewelry so he got her a pair of hoop earrings which instantly became her favorite.