58: Scared of the Dark

Scared of the Dark by Lil Wayne and Ty Dolla $ign
I'm not scared of the dark
I'm not running, running, running
No, I'm not afraid of the fall
I'm not scared, not at all
Why would a star, a star ever be afraid of the dark?

CHAPTER FIFTY-EIGHT

Oscar jolted awake again. They've been waiting for hours and there was still nothing. Sad Eyes kept telling him to try and sleep but if it wasn't the really uncomfortable lounge chair it was the dreams he's suddenly getting. There were more flashbacks than dreams. Mere snippets of him and Nina together. In this situation, they were more of flashbacks turned dreams turned nightmares.

He didn't want to be suddenly reminiscing all of these moments thinking Nina was still fighting for her life. He didn't want to be thinking of all those past times with her without the possibilities of new ones. At another point he had found himself crying to Sad Eyes again. They've lost homies to a single gun shot or to them getting jumped on and rarely do they get a chance to survive all the hospital madness.

Nina was one of the worst ones. He'd never waited this long. He'd never had that much trouble sleeping in hospitals waiting for his friends to be okay. He'd never felt so scared because as sleepless hours go, there was still no sign or word from a doctor saying that Nina was going to be okay.

It was three am. The three of them and another family were left in the hospital lounge. Although, from what they hear, the other family was waiting on the delivery of a baby. Definitely ironic to their situation right then and there.

He turns to Sad Eyes who was passed out and all cramped up on another chair. His mouth was hanging open and everything. Oscar's eyes then darted to Victoria who had her elbow rested on the arm chair, biting her nails and she looked out the hospital window.

With a sigh he gets up to walk over to the machine to get himself a coffee. Without thinking twice, he also gets one for Victoria. He walks over to her and holds out the cup.

"I don't think we'll be getting any sleep until," he tells her as her eyes travelled between the cup and him.

Victoria sighs and takes the cup from his hands. When she adjusts her position, Oscar notices her phone on her lap. On the screen was the recordings of how things went down in the bodega. "V, don't do that shit if you know it'll mess you up even more," he said referring to the video.

"Says the cholo who smokes, what? Three? Four sticks a day?" Victoria retaliated harshly. Oscar pursed his lips looking to his feet. With a nod he begins to walk away until she calls him. "Wait," she said.

"I'm sorry," Victoria sighed before placing the cup on the table next to her. "I'm sorry I yelled out you and for what I just said. Nina did say you were working on quitting," she added making Oscar turn around.

Oscar nodded. "It's fine. But I get that you're mad and you have every right to be," he turns once more but Victoria calls him out again.

"But you shouldn't be blaming yourself for what happened."

Oscar stopped in his track again before turning around again. "What?"

Victoria purses her lips and sighs. She leans over a little to pat the seat next to her, signaling him to sit next to him. He walks back over to her and takes a seat with the cup of hot coffee warming his hands amidst the chill of the hospital.

"I didn't mean what I said to you awhile ago. Everything I said to you awhile ago was out of anger and frustration-"

"V, you don't gotta explain. Either way I knew there was some truth to what you said," Oscar cut her off as he played with the cup. What she said really struck a cord with him however.