67: La Santa

CHAPTER SIXTY-SEVEN

As promised Nina meets up with Stacey in a fancy restaurant just outside of Freeridge. The place seemed to be surrounded with men dressed in black attire which intimidated her a little. It was until Stacey had to admit that she was here for a business meeting right after their lunch and the men there were hers for security purposes she didn't want to talk about.

Even though Stacey told her men off to give them some privacy for the hour, Nina couldn't help but still feel like something was off. All Stacey said that she was quite the important person to have men like these around her. Every time Nina kept asking Stacey would divert the topic and it was a good thing that Nina noticed.

They were about an hour in already and Stacey kept checking up on Nina asking about her line of work. Which was funny to Nina because Stacey was being so vague about hers. "So you wanna be some sort of... inventor?" Stacey asked smoothly.

Nina snorted. "I guess you could say that. I'm more keen on just fixing stuff lately, I still have a lot to learn if I wanna be some sort of inventor. But yea that's sort of the dream in the long haul maybe," she explained with a nod.

"Does that mean that fixing up cars in Brentwood is just for stability for you and your family?" Stacey pressed.

"I'd like to put it that way," Nina nodded in agreement. "There's that and I have to make up my losses for Berto's bodega. Even though, its back up and running I still have to make up for the damages some way some how."

Stacey hummed. "Berto's bodega. Which reminds me, I wanted to give you something," she reached into her bag and pulled out a picture and placed it on the table. She pushes it over to Nina and she takes a look at the old photo.

"This is you and my mom back in the day?" Nina smiled looking at the photo. It was a picture of Stacey and her mother side by side in front of the house that they lived in now.  They were smiling and Stacey had her arm around her little sister. But one thing caught her eye and it was the faded looking impala they were both sitting on.

"You guys used to be friends with the Santos back in the day," Nina muttered looking at the impala. She knew it belonged to Oscar's dad. This must've been the same one. "Did they ever jump you into the gang?" she found herself asking Stacey as she looked up at her.

Stacey sighed. "Nina, I must admit that I wasn't completely honest with you last Saturday about the business that I run."

"What do you mean?" Nina blinked.

This place is surrounded by your own personal guard and your house seems a little over the top. No shit you're not being honest with me.

"I'll be honest and say that for the past week I've been looking into your profile. Then again I couldn't find much given that you've been laying low all your life," Stacey began as she rested her elbows on the table and laced her fingers together.

"But from what I know and how things went down last week, I think you're a very capable woman who deserves so much more, who can be so much more," she continued as she adjusted her posture. "With that I'd like to give you a spot in my business. You can be... to put it short, my right hand man of sorts," she smiled at her.

"And what might your business be?" Nina nodded. Stacey was beginning to freak her out. I swear to God this bitch better not be in some mafia or cartel.

"I never needed to be jumped into the Santos because I used to run it. Up until now I still do," was all Stacey said and Nina fucking knew. On the bright side she wasn't in the mafia but like this situation wasn't any better.