6: Three Years Later

CHAPTER SIX

The Garcia-Santiago sisters did their best to cope through the years. The emergency fund that was left to them by their parents began to run low after a year especially with the twins getting older and needing more stuff.

Victoria started working in the Daycare in Brentwood teaching art and music all the while doing freelance projects on the side. It served her a good purpose because she was able to learn even more about kids especially at her work. Plus she was given the opportunity to bring along the kids to work.

The pay wasn't much but it was enough. Her work was flexible enough for her to spend time with her kids and she couldn't be more happy.

Nina on the other hand was trying her best to put her brains into good use. She worked in the Auto Shop near the town's Goodwill. That was until most of the older employees began hitting on her which made her uncomfortable.

She tried applying to be a teacher in Freeridge high school but wasn't accepted due to her lacking degree. With that she ended up tutoring kids in Freeridge. She would gain a little extra every now and then given that she was also known in Brentwood for her tutoring. With Victoria knowing several families already, she became Nina's hook up to tutor kids and teens.

She would also help some seniors with their SAT prep. There even came a point where she just needed some cash so she opted to write people's essays for cash.

But that was only during school season. For the summer, she works in the bodega owned by Angelica's uncle. Angelica was a graduate of Freeridge High School and was dating Mario Martinez, Ruby Martinez's older brother. Angelica became close with Nina when she would help her with school work. Theres that and the fact that Nina had written a couple of Angelica's essays to save her life.

"Tío, I can't close up tonight," Angelica tells her uncle as he was stacking up the energy drinks in the freezer. "Justin is hosting a party for the seniors at his place."

"Then tell Nina to close up," her tío, Berto, shrugs in response.

"She can't do that either cos I invited her too and she said yes."

"But she doesn't even go to your school!"

"Yea but she does our taxes and she helped fixed up that leak in the back. This could be a reward so that you don't have to pay her extra," Angelica convinced even further.

Her tio shrugged before nodding. "Alright fine, Nina can go but that doesn't mean you can."

Ay! ¡Tío!" Angelica complained.

"Solo bromeo," he laughed. "Fine you two can go but you have to make it up next week!" He said finally giving in.

Angelica thanked him before running over to the counter to talk to Nina who was dealing with a customer. Nina bids the customer farewell before turning to face Angelica. "Did tío Berto say yes?"

"As a matter of fact he did," Angelica grinned.

"Great!" Nina smiled before changing her expression. "Then I'm not going."

Angelica's face fell. "What? Why not?"

"Because Victoria is going which means I have to watch the kids. There's that or you're just gonna make me designated driver like the last time," Nina explains before grabbing a box full off cans that she had to restock on the other side of the store.

"Come on," Angelica sighed following her friend. "Just get a babysitter. I mean when was the last time you went to a party with your sister?"

Honestly? The night before the leader of the Santos got arrested.