15: Miss Independent

Miss Independent by Ne-Yo
Say, oh is something about
Kinda woman that want you but don't need you
Hey, I can't figure it out
Is something about her

She got her own thing
That's why I love her,
Miss Independent
Won't you come and spend a little time

CHAPTER FIFTEEN

It took awhile but Nina was finally able to tuck her sister in at night. Victoria was a crying mess that she didn't even notice Oscar leave their house. The sisters would be spending the day tomorrow as Nina suggested so that he sister could let out some steam.

It was that time of the month anyway for them to spend their time just the two of them.

But she couldn't get over about what happened in the hallway. Even when Victoria was trying to explain how she wanted to cut off her date's balls Nina would have these flashbacks of her and Oscar making out before Victoria had interrupted them.

That rush she got due to the fact that what happened was so sudden made her feel all warm inside. These feelings that she was having we're getting harder and harder to ignore. Oscar would randomly kiss her on the cheek and on the lips when no one was around. Nina just went with it knowing deep down she liked it.

But at the end of the day she still didn't know what to do about these feelings. There was still that fear of Oscar just playing with her.

There was that idea of how close they've gotten and how he was a different person when she was around. Through the years, she'd gotten to know the rep of the Santos and the person who ran them on the streets. Every time she was with Oscar it was as if those stories were fiction of too good to be true.

But all those stories scared her if she were being honest. Then she would see him and talk to him and she would unknowingly begin to let her guard down just like that. She just wasn't sure if she could fully let it down and accept him for who he was.

She cared for Oscar, saying that she was attached and attracted didn't seem to cut for how she felt for him. And she knew that he deserved someone who was beyond willing to deal with the shit he went through. Nina just didn't know if she was ready for it yet.

Now she was laying flat on her bed staring at her texts with Oscar. She had yet to apologize at what just happened and at the same time thank him for coming over. She glanced over at her window and saw that their kitchen light was still on, she hoped he was awake.

"Fuck this shit," she muttered before texting him asking if he was still awake. She delivered the text and ended up staring at her phone hoping he'd reply. "What the hell am I doing?" she said closing her phone and tossing it to the side.

Her phone vibrates and she easily picks it up. Oscar was still awake and she didn't exactly know why but she ended up grinning like a school girl. She didn't know how to describe what happened next but she ended up calling him.

"Nina?"

"H-hey," she greeted him feeling that familiar fluttery feeling in her chest upon hearing his voice. "I-I-I don't even know why I decided to call when I could've just texted you," she admitted with a chuckle.

Oscar smirked hearing what Nina said. "You missing me or what?" he decided to tease.

Maybe. "Look, I wanted to thank you for coming by when you did," she replied avoiding his question. "The twins really like having you around. They may have gotten attached not gonna lie," she added with a soft laugh.

"The lil' homies are great. You and your sister seem to know what you guys are doing raising those kids," Oscar comments out of sincerity. "I think I may have gotten attached to those kids too," he admits.