22: Saving

CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO

Nina was at work at the store like always. Later she would be making a trip to Brentwood for a tutorial session with the teens who needed help with their SATs.

Her and Oscar were on speaking terms after Monse fought with Cesar but she still acted cold. Although, they haven't really spoken about what happened. Oscar had to work for it this time because what happened really made Nina feel so cross with him.

He would bring her to work and everything just like he usually would. Even spend time in the store just to be with her. Oscar would be good to her by kissing her cheek, neck, shoulders just to get her attention but he would easily be brushed off like he was nothing.

"You guys still ain't talkin?" Martín asked leaning over the counter.

"What are you guys talking about? We talked this morning," Nina shrugged stocking up the cigarettes behind her.

"Then why is he broken like this?" Gabriel asked pointing to Oscar who had his forehead resting on the counter.

"He said he has a headache," Nina said bluntly not taking notice of her boyfriend.

"When was the last time you two had sex?" Gabriel's comment caused an old lady to stare. "Lo siento, señora," he apologized.

"C'mon Nina. The poor guy is experiencing drought," Martín butted in.

"I swear to God if you two don't shut up!" Oscar slowly began to raise his voice at the two cholos putting them in their place.

"See, I told you he wasn't feeling okay," Nina said finally turning around. "Alright, papi. Let's go get you some Advil," she said hooking her arm into Oscar's so he could get up.

She grabs a pill from the bag and a water bottle from one of the fridges before bringing Oscar to the back so they can talk. "Aight, out with it," Nina said leaning against one of the shelves.

"I actually do have a headache," Oscar admits as Nina hands him the pill and tosses him a water bottle.

Nina crosses her arms over her chest and avoids eye contact with him. Oscar glances at her and reads the disappointment all over her face.

"Babygirl, I said I was sorry," he says sincerely trying to find her eyes but she still refuses to look at him.

"I know. I heard you the first few times," she mutters followed by sighing heavily.

"Then why are you acting like this?" He asked calmly trying to approach her but she still wasn't having it.

"Because I don't think you actually realize how disappointed I am," she says finally turning to him making him stop in his place. "Look I know you made Cesar say those things but why? They're kids Oscar what the hell were you thinking?"

On the bright side at least they were finally talking about it.

"When are you gonna start trusting me when I say that I know what I'm doing?" He asked with a hint of frustration in his voice.

"Baby, I don't doubt that you do but having Cesar say nasty things like that about Monse for the sake of street cred?" Nina argued.

Oscar ran a hand through his face. "It was for her own good."

"Starting a rumor before she could enter high school? How is that something good for a teenager?" Nina was beginning to sound like her mother. It made her feel weird just thinking about it.

"It was for protection sake, Nina!"

"I figured! But you can't come for an innocent girl like that!"