60: Fiancé

CHAPTER SIXTY

"Oscar, tell me please," Nina pleaded once more in worry as she gave his hand a little squeeze.

Oscar took a moment to think, there was no point in keeping it in a little longer but knowing how much they talked about having kids in the past, this news was going to crush her. But she deserved to know.

"Okay," he nodded before taking a breath and running a hand over his mouth. He adjusts his position to lean in forward a bit to get closer to Nina.

"When they took you to the OR, they noticed some blood discharge coming from your," he began as his eyes lowered and it took a minute for Nina to think. "The discharge was similar to a miscarriage," it took one word for Nina's blood to run cold as she looked at Oscar.

She began to slowly piece the what he was trying to say together as tears pooled in her eyes once more. "I was pregnant?" she choked out as Oscar sighed one more.

"They couldn't really tell," Oscar admits. "They took an ultrasound and ran other tests that they could. But with the time on their hands they couldn't be so sure," he tried explaining. "Considering their you had to be around two to three weeks in, on that case," his eyes softened.

"Nina, we didn't use protection that night. Unless you were supposedly on the pill?" he brought up but Nina recounted the last few weeks not really remembering the last time she took a pill for birth control.

It would've made sense that she could've been pregnant. Even though she hadn't been feeling any symptoms, first signs of pregnancy appear when a woman is four weeks into her pregnancy. And she was due for her period some time next week so she couldn't really tell for sure.

But one thing was for sure and that she had lost the opportunity to find it out for herself. "I wasn't on the pill," she bit her lip as she slightly shook her head. When she had said that Oscar's heart broke even more.

"That um... that depressive episode I had after we lost Tony," she tried to recount. "I-I lost track and at one point I just stopped drinking. I-it was o-one of the things I ended up... not.."

It all began to crash into her again. The weight and loss of will to do anything for that matter. The amount of times she found herself crying and eventually staring blankly at work. How she had to forcefully drag herself out of bed each morning.

Now that everything good was coming back into place. The Prophet$ happen. This happens.

"Oscar, I think I was pregnant," she nodded in agreement to his suspicion as a tear rolled down her cheek. "I would've been pregnant, but I lost it in an instant before we could've known for sure. This is all my fault. Oscar, I'm so sorry," Nina started crying in front of him.

"Baby, this isn't your fault. None of this was your fault, Nina," Oscar tells her softly as he held in hand using both of his. "I mean, we both knew we weren't ready for one just yet," he said in attempt to divert the idea.

Nina avoided his gaze taking in that familiar weight of pain and guilt. "I knew we talked about it a lot saying we'd promise to take things slow this time. But we have to admit that somewhere deep down, a part of us wanted this to happen."

Tears began pooling in his eyes as well because he knew she was right. He'd always wanted to be father. Getting together with Nina made him realize how much he had actually wanted to have his own family. Having a child with Nina would've been a dream. They both weren't ready but they really wanted to be parents given the time.

"Oscar, I'm so sorry," Nina shook her head again as she apologized. The more and more she cried the more Oscar's heart sank. He knew that she didn't deserve the blame for what happened. It's not like neither of them could've anticipated what happened.