44: Friends

I Caught Myself by Paramore
You got it, you got it, some kind of magic
Hypnotic, hypnotic, you're leaving me breathless
I hate this, I hate this
You're not the one I believe in
With God as my witness

Don't know what I want
But I know it's not you
Keep pushing and pulling me down
But I know in my heart it's not you

CHAPTER FORTY-FOUR

"Hijo de puta," Angelica and Nina cursed looking at Angelica's phone screen as they both had their elbows on the counter.

Tony heard them cursing and decided to walk up to them placing a box full on liquor bottles on the counter. "What you watching?" he asked noticing the grimacing look on their faces.

"La Casa De Papel," the two girls answered flatly unable to tear their eyes away from the screen.

Tony laughed a little seeing their furrowed eyebrows and angry faces. Not long later, the two of them started cursing and gesturing to Angelica's phone. Up until another customer walked up to the counter and cleared her throat. Angelica had instantly put down her phone and hid it under the counter.

"Lo siento, señora," the two of them muttered before looking at each other. Nina took it upon herself to leave Angelica to her business at the cash register before she accompanied Tony to stock up on the alcohol.

"You know, you really didn't have to work here," Nina said just as she was about to help Tony with the box of huge bottles.

"No worries I got it," Tony smiled at her sweetly pulling the box away from her reach as they both walked up to the liquor aisle. "It was the only way Berto was going to give you a day off tomorrow."

"And you actually believed him? You know he just likes having you around," Nina gently leaned against the shelf. "And you should be focusing on your parents coming in tomorrow."

Tony had sent the box down carefully on the floor before standing up again to Nina's height. "They'll be flying over the states not across the ocean to another continent. Literally nothing to worry about," he added with a shrug running a hand through his hair.

"Well then you should be at home focusing on your music."

"I'm starting to get the feeling you don't want me around," Tony teased crossing his arms. Nina blinks a couple of times before blushing and turning away from him.

"You know that's not what I meant-"

"Hey I'm joking," Tony placed a hand on her shoulder. He pushed that idea of her looking cute as she suddenly began to act so demure around him. Days after their mistake of a kiss and the tension was still there. No matter how much they tried to ignore it.

"You need help with these bottles or what?" Nina brushed off these unwanted feelings as she bent down to grab one in each hand. This prompted Tony to do the same.

Their eyes would travel back and forth between the two of them every now and then. Most of the time, they would have to restrain themselves from looking. Tony couldn't help but admire Nina even if she wasn't doing anything. She could simply be reading or running a hand through her hair and he would blush thinking how beautiful she looked.

Tony thought about Nina often especially when they lived under the same house and when he would come to the store to help whenever he was bored or fed up with working on his music. The only times he would snap out of his daze would be when he would talk to Maya on the phone. He felt guilty for what he was feeling.

He did love Maya but, even up until now, Nina was different. She always was.

Even though Nina kept convincing herself that the way she felt for Tony was an illusion, the feelings were still there. That feeling of familiarity and nostalgia had hit her differently. Every time she found him playing Victoria's old keyboard or just him playing the guitar made her feel like she was the same ten year old who was obsessed with Nick Jonas.