71: Goodbyes

CHAPTER SEVENTY-ONE

There were 24 hours left on Nina's clock on whether she would have to accept or deny the offer Cuchillos gave her. As shit continued to spiral downward, Nina felt like there was only one answer left that would ensure the safety of her family and her own. She had yet to tell Victoria the whole truth of what was going on but she didn't know how, thinking that she'd only be putting their lives in danger.

The past few days were tough to describe with all of this talk about family and all the pent up emotions. With Oscar trying to get over his father leaving him and his brother, again, Nina held him until he fell asleep from the exhaustion. That had to be the first time Nina had seen him cry himself to sleep and it broke her heart.

The two of them said nothing as they just held each other until they woke up the next day feeling so exhausted. But unfortunately, the two of them had to muscle up as Oscar had a meeting with Cuchillos that afternoon about the bullshit happening with 19th Street and she wanted him to bring Nina along with. For the sake of just 'checking up on her sobrina'.

And now here they were dressed up nicely for the occasion and Nina had been listening to them talk for the past half an hour. What ticked her off was that Oscar kept saying valid points on building up an alliance with 19th Street but Cuchillos kept brushing it off. Alliance wasn't the same as having full control, Stacey thought.

Now if Nina wanted to some what get the upper hand in the situation, she'd have to put up another goddamn front and act the part.

"I thought about what you said, about 19th Street," Cuchillos began smoothly as Nina and Oscar looked at her. She went on recalling Oscar's past points on how letting these kids of 19th Street lose were bad for business

"What do you wanna do?" Oscar asked. It was about this bitch started listening to me, he thought.

"Throw them a bone," Cuchillos began. "Give them Jefferson."

Oscar just nodded. "Consider it handled."

Cuchillos smiled. "You can set up a meeting with them in two days, we'll settle things there," she said and Oscar nodded in agreement. 

"Any news on Cesar and his friends?" she asked and Nina felt her hands baling into fists. Nina couldn't believe that this woman had actually sent a couple of kids to find a man who clearly didn't want to be found all for her personal again. Her tía really was crazy.

Oscar shook his head as a means of saying no which made Cuchillos sigh heavily. Cuchillos wasn't the most patient person and she hated the fact that the reason why everything was being prolonged like was because of a bunch of kids. "Then I guess we're done here," she spat out of irritation.

Just as she was about to tell them to leave, Nina speaks. "Wait," she said and Stacey adjusts her position on her chair. "I've thought about it," Nina said as Stacey furrows her eyebrows at her.

"Consider me a Santo."

That statement brought a smile on Stacey's face while leaving a bitter and heavily feeling in Nina's chest. Since there was no going out of this, she might as well just say yes. Either way everything just seemed like a losing game for her. Oscar saw how saying that made Nina feel out of it and he quickly slips his hand in hers under the table, giving her hand a squeeze.

"You never seem to disappoint me, mija. Los Santos has found it's new princesa," Cuchillos said with a smile. "Spooky, I guess you're looking at your new boss. Show her the ropes and bring her to that meeting with 19th Street. About time we show them that a woman is taking charge," she added and Oscar just nodded while Nina flashed a small smile.