63: Warm Welcome

CHAPTER SIXTY-THREE

Nina was in the bathroom getting dressed. She was finally going home today. She was all healed but now she had to focus on getting more of her strength back, especially when she had to work herself to the bone for the money in clearing this hospital debt. But right now she was just focused on getting home and maybe even spending time with Bella. Yes, she missed their dog who no doubt grew bigger the month she was away.

In the middle of her clasping her bra she looks into the mirror. Her eyes wandered over her bullet wounds and scars. Some of her other grazes had faded away during the month that passed but some of them were still noticeable the more she looked.

The bullet wound by her shoulder and side, there was no covering that up and letting it just fade away. Same goes for that ugly big scar by her left ribs. Those three things were the most prominent and the idea of them never really fading bothered her. The charred and messed up flesh was going to be a reminder for her of what happened. A reminder that was going to settle on her skin forever.

It made her feel insecure about the clothes she wore. That despite covering them up someway some how it still wouldn't be enough. All in all she felt ugly looking at her scars. She was never going to feel the same way again.

It took her this long to realize she'd had to live with these marks. She felt insecure. She felt disgusting. She felt ugly. There was no way Oscar would want a girl who had a body like this. She didn't want a body like this.

"Nina! Hurry up babe we gotta go to make this deposit!" Victoria knocked on her door snapping her out of her daze.

"U-uh, yea give me two more minutes!" Nina called out as she wiped her eyes. She didn't even know she was crying. But there were better things to be focusing on. She was going home to be with her family and that's what mattered.

As promised, Nina walks out the door to be greeted by her sister who held her bag up to her along with Baby Spooky. The twins brought it for her during the first few weeks of her stay. Oscar had even joked that while he was away at least Nina had Baby Spooky to keep her company.

"Look at you! Don't you look pretty," Victoria smiled feeling genuinely happy that her sister was going home. She noticed that Nina looked a little thinner but she looked way better than when all of this first began.

No I don't.

It annoyed her just thinking about it. How much it bothered her so when there were bigger things to worry about.

"Thanks, V," Nina forced a smile. She could have never been dressed more plainly with a shirt and Oscar's flannel. It wasn't anything special.

"Alright, come on. The faster we pay, the faster we get to go home," Victoria tilted her head to the door.

Before they knew it they were on their way out. Nina had even said goodbye to the nurses she'd gotten to know for the past month. They'd even congratulated her on her so called engagement. Some of them seemed sad that they wouldn't be seeing Oscar anymore, to which the idea of it made her laugh.

Soon after, the arrived at the counter where they had to settle a payment for the hospital bill. They would be making something similar to a down payment in the mean time but when Victoria and Nina walked up to the lady on the counter and inquired about Nina's statement had been cleared causing the both of them to go into a state of shock.

"What?!?" the two of them exclaimed causing people to stare and the lady behind the counter to jump.

"C-can you check again? I'm the patient, my name is Nina Garcia. I was brought in over a month ago in the ER. I had two gunshot wounds, two fractured ribs, and a fractured hand. I've been going through the following treatments such as-"