38: Future Hearts

CHAPTER THIRTY-EIGHT

"Here's your change," Nina said to the customer handing in remaining bills and coins as well as a plastic bag full of their items. "Have a nice day," she forced a smile as the customer smiled back just before heading out the door.

As promised, Victoria gave her a ride and dropped her off at work before heading off to the Daycare with the twins and Tony. In truth, Tony really didn't have any plans before the day of his meeting so it wasn't a problem for him to join Victoria in the Daycare as long as Victoria would show him around when she could. Victoria did promise him anyway.

Unfortunately, Nina did come in rather late than expected. With her absence from the past few days, she really needed to start pulling her weight at the store again especially when classes still on hold with Christmas break ending. It'll be a week or so until she would start getting calls for tutorial sessions again. Until then, she would have to endure Feliz Navidad on repeat at the store once more.

But she hadn't been in the store for more than two hours and she had already wanted to leave. On the other hand, she didn't exactly want to go home knowing Oscar and his friends would be chilling out on the front lawn again. When they left for work earlier that day, it took everything in her not to look across the street. One look at him and she would probably start crying all over again.

Until then, she would just have to keep herself busy and distract herself from thinking about Oscar. As she was stocking up on the cigarettes and condoms on the counter another customer drops in placing several rolls of gauze and bandages on the counter. All of that along with alcohol and other material needed to clean up injuries.

She looks up to see Martín and Gabriel. "Who got jumped?" Nina questioned as she began scanning the items.

"I wouldn't say he got jumped," Martín answered avoiding eye contact with Nina.

"He's just really really injured and I think we got too much stuff," Gabriel finished looking down at all of their items.

"All this stuff looks like someone's been shot," Nina pointed out, praying to God deep inside that Oscar was alright. "You could've just gotten a first aid kit," she added before stating their total.

"Well it's none of your business, no offense," Sad Eyes appeared handing her over a few bills. "We were running out of this shit anyway," he added as Nina punched in a code opening the cash register.

Nina only sighed as she began gathering their change. There it was again. That stupid bloody statement. But she only stayed quiet as she handed him his change before quickly bagging their items in a plastic bag.

"We also came here to check up on you. How are you holding up?" Gabriel asked sincerely as Nina only shook her head not really wanting to answer them anyway.

"I know you and Spooky ain't cool but are we still friends?" Martín asked on behalf of his friends despite Sad Eyes hitting him in the head.

Nina only looked at them sadly as she nodded forcing a small smile on her face. The looks on their faces softened as she handed them their bag. They too offered her a small smile.

"Take care of yourself, Nina," Gabriel smiled a little hoping to lighten up her mood as he grabbed their bags. Nina pressed her lips and nodded as they began to walk out the door.

But as always, she couldn't help but stick her nose into business she wasn't a part of. "Did he get shot?" her voice cracked before Sad Eyes could walk out the door.

"No but he's a little busted up," Sad Eyes admitted turning a little to her.

Hearing those words, Nina worried a little bit more for his life. Whatever happened, she only hoped he was okay. "Take care of him. Make sure he's okay," she turned to Sad Eyes as her eyes began to water a little.