70: Family Ties

CHAPTER SEVENTY

Nina couldn't breathe being caught up in this reception. Lil' Ricky was her father. The teens she'd known all these years were on a hunt for him and she doubted that they were ever going to find a person who has been in hiding all these years. There were going to be consequences at the end of all of this and too many lives were on the line. All she knew in that moment was that she had to get out of this house while she still could.

She bolted for the door only to run into another person. "I'm sorry," she muttered before trying to make it too the door but she was only stopped in her tracks when she heard someone call out her mother's name.

"Macey? Macey is that you?"

Nina turned around to see a black woman around also the age of her tía looking at her like she'd seen a ghost. Don't tell me she's family too because the last time I checked I wasn't part black. "Do I know you?" Nina raised her eyebrows at the woman.

The woman blinked and snapped out of her daze. "I'm sorry, you just look a lot like someone I grew up with. Forgive me for bothering you and waisting your time," the woman waved and she turned to walk away.

"MariCarmen Garcia?" Nina called out and the black woman stopped in her tracks again. "She's my mother," Nina added and the woman whipped around to look at her again. The woman gave her the same look of shock and disbelief as she walked up to her.

"You're Macey's kid?" she said breathed as she started getting emotional just looking at her. It really was like she was seeing a ghost. As Nina nodded a reply the woman started tearing up. "You look just like her. But you have-"

"My father's eyes," Nina continued and in that moment the woman knew who Nina was talking about because a long time ago she had fallen in love with the same man they were thinking about. Deep down, even though the woman had just met this girl she too had already feared for her life.

"Oh baby," the woman cooed and the two of them unknowingly held hands. "Where are my manners?" she laughed at herself.

"My name is Rosé," she introduced as Nina felt something click in her. She remembered her name from her mother's letter. "I've seen you around parts of Brentwood. Hell, I've convinced myself that I've been seeing a ghost all this time thinking I was seeing a person I haven't seen all this time," she laughed at herself.

"It's nice to meet you Rosé. My name is Nina," Nina forced a smile. She still wanted to get out of here but this woman knew certain things about her mother's past and what's been bothering her all this time. Maybe she could find more answers. "I actually work at the auto-repair shop not far from here and I tutor some of the kids and teens around here."

"That must explain why I keep seeing you," Rosé smiled sweetly. "It's amazing you look just like her. You seem like such a sweet girl and with your work I can tell that your mama raised you right. How is Macey?"

Nina's heart fell for a split second. "She passed away four years ago. Car accident."

Rosé frowned. "I'm sorry to hear that, Nina. But it was good to know your mom got into that police work she's always wanted. I can tell that she's raised a fine daughter too."

I just wished she was more honest with me. "Thank you, Rosé," Nina nodded back at her.

"A-and what about y-your father?" Rosé stammered. Whether or not this girl knew where her father was she knew that Nina was in grave danger.

"I never knew him. Never met him," Nina answered truthfully and Rosé's expression faltered.

"Is that so," Rosé mumbled. "Well, I was good friends with your mom back in the day. She was a great person, it's a shame that I had to find out like this and that we had to meet like this."