35: Happy Holidays

CHAPTER THIRTY-FIVE

"Tía we want ice cream," Little Lupe turned to Nina with a small pout forming on her lips and her twin brother doing the same.

"Okay, Lupita. Let's go get ice cream," Nina smiled grabbing their little hands as they walked over to the ice cream stand just outside the restaurant.

It was that time between Christmas and New Year where time didn't really make sense to anyone. Both Nina and Oscar were still staying in the house Victoria had given them over the holiday. No doubt the two of them were having the time of their lives living in a house they weren't even paying for. But Nina kept missing her family, not that it was something that bothered Oscar.

Nina had this great idea to go to Disneyland for the first time ever with Victoria and the twins. The twins even brought along Bella, the puppy that Oscar had gotten them for Christmas. After their trip to Disneyland, Victoria and the twins would be staying at the house with them overnight.

Now here they were, in the middle of lunch in one of the parks themed restaurants. They had already gone on several rides but they hadn't been on one all together because they had to watch Bella. After their lunch they were going to see a few shows and go on a few more rides before leaving Bella in the doggy daycare.

"I can't believe you got us a puppy," Victoria said looking down to a smiling Bella who was on her lap. Waging her little tail like there was no tomorrow. "The twins love her so much. I mean how could you not?" she cooed rubbing the puppy's head.

"It's no big deal. One of the cholos were giving away some of his puppies. They couldn't take them in anymore so I decided to get one," Oscar explained with a small smile on his face before taking a sip of his soda

"You know, when Nina said she wanted to have kids with you I don't think she meant a puppy," Victoria teased still playing with Bella on her lap.

Oscar snorted. "What's not to like about a puppy?"

"True," Victoria nodded before glancing to look at him.

"Oscar?" she called looking up at him. Oscar only replied with a hum before putting down his phone.

"It's Nina's birthday in a couple of weeks, I don't really know what to do for her," Victoria admits with a shrug. "Do you have any suggestions?"

"Well, what do you usually do on her birthday?"

"Stay in. Watch movies. Dance party with the twins. Drink a bottle of red the moment they're passed out," Victoria listed with a hint of disinterest in her tone. However, in truth, it really did become a routine for Nina to spend her birthdays like that.

"Yea that sounds like her," Oscar chuckled a little agreeing to her list.

"Well, you know her, clubbing isn't really her thing plus we had to look after the kids back then. Heck I even teased about getting her a stripper for her 21st birthday," she replied making Oscar shoot her a look.

"But obviously that's out of the question because she... has you," Victoria swerved gesturing to her sister's novio. "And since you're here and you've done nothing but make her happy I figured... you know... we should probably do something for her birthday," she shrugged.

Hearing the routine that Victoria had listed made him realize that what Nina did on her birthday was nothing really different from any of her weekends. Oscar loved Nina a lot and thinking about it, he did what to do something special for her.

"I guess we could throw her a party at the Santos house. She's friends with the Santos anyway and the Santos love her," Oscar began but he knew deep down that a simple party just wasn't going to cut it.