27: Thanksgiving

CHAPTER TWENTY-SEVEN

"So you and Olivia have been dating all this time?" Nina asked pretending to connect the dots in the air just as she sat down the a pot of beans and rice.

"Yup," Cesar nodded with a sigh.

"But I thought you and Monse had a thing?" Victoria butts in setting down the plates on the table.

"Had. Or in her case, it never really happened," the teen sighed sadly looking back at the twins who were busy watching Coco on TV.

"But don't you like Monse?" Nina buts in putting down a plate of vegetables and a bowl of bread.

"I do. As a friend," Cesar forced making the sisters give him a skeptical look.

"Tío Cesar, mama says it's not good to lie," Penelope turned to the young teen. "Your nose might get longer. Like Pinnochio," she added giggling.

"I'm not lying Lupe," Cesar sighed looking at the little girl.

"Liar liar plants for hire," Alex accused pointing at Cesar.

"I think the phrase is 'liar liar pants on fire' not 'plants for hire'," Cesar corrected making the twins just glare at him. The teen chuckled before sticking his tongue out playfully. The twins stuck their tongues out as well while Cesar began to make funny faces at them. Both Penelope and Alex copied him too.

"Enough chisme. Comer," Oscar said placing the turkey down on the table.

As everyone took their seat by the table Oscar began carving up the turkey. Nina took a moment look at her family and smiled. Usually, it would just be the four of them for Thanksgiving. Though they would invite Cesar in, he would insist on spending the day with Sad Eyes and his family.

Now seeing him and Oscar in their house and them seated as a family warmed Nina's heart. Victoria also smiled at their company as she also appreciated how the twins had welcomed the Diaz brothers in to their lives by calling them tío. But the twins still preferred to call Oscar 'Mr. Spooky.'

It took a while for Oscar to carve some meat and for everyone to get a piece but eventually he sat down and looked at all of them. "You guys aren't the type to pray before eating, are you?" He cocked his eyebrow.

"Says the person who always wears a cross on his chest," Nina chuckled.

"No we just eat. Unless you wanna say a random speech," Victoria offered.

"Nah I'm good," Oscar shrugged before they all began eating.

Their meal was shared with little chatters and some bickering between the twins on some occasions. They shared their stories on whatever came into their mind. It was good on Oscar's part as he got to know Nina's sister a bit more.

"I swear to God, that woman knew everything that happened in the barrio," Victoria started. "Like that's how I found out what actually happened to Nina during prom night if you know what I mean."

As Nina reddened placing a hand over her face in embarrassment, everyone laughed. Except for the twins who didn't really understand what their tía actually did at prom. But they laughed because everyone was laughing.

"I lost $50 trying to buy that woman's silence," Nina closed her eyes momentarily, remembering the memory. "Oh my God, remember that time she found out that Benny was sleeping with his ex-wife," she laughed pointing at Victoria.

"YES!" Victoria squealed. "So Benny is Carla's novio but Benny just got divorced from his wife, Claudia. The day she found out that Benny and Claudia were still getting it on, Claudia walks in the salon to get her hair permed and dyed."