66: Dinner

CHAPTER SIXTY-SIX

Oscar thought that with Nina sort of going through the same shit he had been feeling, he thought with his father living under the same roof as him would be more bearable. But with the three weeks that had passed, he was starting to think otherwise.

He'd have his run ins with his father trying to make conversations with his girlfriend. Nina being the kind and sweet girl that she was entertained him and gave into conversation. Ray was very fond of Nina and he meant it when he said he was happy to see his son thinking of settling down with a very nice girl.

But with Nina lowkey coming into favor with Oscar's father, Oscar felt like he was starting to lose her favor for having his side of the whole issue.

"First day of summer tomorrow. You wanna spend the day together and go to the Summer Nights festival thing in Freeridge Park?" Oscar asked as he kissed her neck. They were in her room cuddling, Oscar really didn't want to go home yet.

"I u-uh, I can't. I got a thing tomorrow night. But we could spend the day tomorrow," Nina admits as she carefully pushes Oscar to make him stop kissing her. Oscar furrows his eyebrows at her. "Well, it's not like you have work tomorrow and I doubt you got some kid to deal with," he pointed as Nina sat up.

"I know, baby," Nina said as she sat up from her bed to face Oscar. "I-It's just... It's been three weeks and my schedule is cleared up now. So, I called Stacey up and I'm having dinner with her tomorrow night at her estate," she said lowly.

Oscar was quiet as his facial expression changed. She knew that he wasn't exactly happy about it especially with everything going on with his father. "When we're you going to tell me?" he asked.

"Well, I just called her up today and it was a random thought, really," Nina began. "I mean, I've been getting to know your father and I can see that he's trying to reconnect and make it up to you after everything," the mention of Ray made Oscar roll his eyes involuntarily.

Nina sighed. "And I thought that Stacey might be feeling the same way when it comes to me. So I figured why not give it a shot. I mean you can't really blame me for wanting to get to know my mother's sister-"

"You're right, I can't blame you for it and I can't force you against your own decision," Oscar cut in. "So stop trying to force me to have this conversation with and about my father. Out of all people I thought you would understand that," he said bitterly.

"Oscar he is trying his best-"

"It's too late for that bullshit! I was stuck and forced to be both a father and mother to Cesar and he didn't even care to write or call me back or even show up for his visits," Oscar sat up too. "This Stacey bitch knew you were struggling and nothing was stopping her to help you but did she even try? The fuck she didn't."

"I mean you know what I'm talking about. Suddenly your tía comes out of nowhere each time someone in your family dies. Nina, you nearly died and you really think everything is okay because she pays your hospital bill? Suddenly everything is okay over dinner? Are you really that naive, Nina?" he continued as his nostrils flared. She tried to ignore his last statement.

"Amor, calm down. Please-"

"You were supposed to be the smart one here, Nina. Since when did you ever allow yourself to think and act so stupidly?!"

Oscar had let his mouth do the thinking. The moment that last sentence had left his lips he knew he was in the dog house, again. Nina knew she was going to get an earful from Oscar once he found out about agreeing to dinner with Stacey. But to say something this disrespectful to her out of his own emotions was something she didn't expect.