68: Lady Spooky

Out of the Black by Royal Blood
You made a fool out of me
And took the skin off back running
So don't breathe while I talk
Cause you haven't been spoken to
I got a gun for a mouth
And a bullet with your name on it

CHAPTER SIXTY-EIGHT

It took awhile for Nina to calm down. In the moment that her and Oscar were in the bathroom, she had texted Victoria to stay in Brentwood with Brian for their safety. She didn't give too much details away all she said that she was safe and them being in Brentwood would ensure that even more.

Nina felt terrified because she didn't know what to expect anymore. She was never the type of person to know about everything but she never felt so lost the way that she did in that moment. Oscar had been holding her in the bathroom for the past few minutes. When he said that he would protect her and she believed him but that only made her worry more for him.

They both knew that at one point they would have to make a choice. A choice that was going to effect them greatly. And in all honesty, they didn't know if they were ever going to be ready for that moment.

Oscar was running his hand through Nina hair as they stood there in silence. Nina stopped crying but inside she was still experiencing some internal panic. But being in Oscar's arms like this was giving her a good sense of security and for a moment she felt safe as she could be after what just went down.

It wasn't until a few loud knocks came from the bathroom startling the both of them. "Cuchillos would like to speak with the two of you again," a voice boomed. Nina couldn't help but notice how familiar it sounded.

She wasn't exactly ready to go back out there as she clutched onto Oscar's hand. She looks at him and Oscar sees the hint of fear in her eyes. "I got you. Nothing is gonna happen to you," he whispered to her placing a hand on the back of her neck.

"What if something happens to you?" she questioned with a small voice. Her words caused goosebumps to appear on his skin. It was one of those rare moments where he feared for his life this time. Because he honestly didn't know this time.

Oscar only tore his eyes away from Nina and what she felt for Oscar was unsettling in that moment. She didn't know she would do if anything happened to him. Because out of the two of them, Nina knew that Oscar was the stronger one out of the two of them. She couldn't take it if something bad happened to him in the hands of her own tía.

"C'mon, we don't wanna keep her waiting," he sighed before taking her hand in his.

The two of them slowly walked over to the door. When Oscar opened it they were greeted by Officer Hammel and Nina was enraged once more. "You. You work for her?" Nina asked in a deadly tone ignoring Oscar's pleas for her to calm down. "You worked with my mother and now you're working for her?" she took a step forward.

"Nina," Oscar warned more sternly as she tugged on her arm once more. As Hammel couldn't look at her, she slipped out of Oscar's grip and walked back towards the table with Oscar tailing behind her. But when she saw who Stacey was with she only grew even more angry.

"Nina, I trust that you know Captain Cortez," Stacey smiled as Cortez remained stoic. He was dressed in black like the rest of Cuchillos' men and he stood up straight beside her tía.

It was dagger after dagger into her back. A man whom she nearly thought of as a father to her and her sister. One of the closest friends for both her mother and father. One of the persons they trusted the most, with their lives. The poor girl was at her wits end seeing all of these familiar faces. 

"Yes. He was good friends with my mother and my father back in precinct in Washington Heights. What a surprise to see you working for my tía, Captain," Nina said sarcastically as she tried her best to mask her anger.