Chapter 16

Davina's POV

I hope I didn't break his hand. I hope I didn't break his hand. I hope this doesn't mean the end of our business contract. I have been thinking about it for three days non-stop. 

Calm down! It's just a little twist to prove I'm strong.

"Right," I mutter to myself

"Sandra please get the door!" I yell and I hear feet rushing to the door.

"Who is it?"

"The food you ordered ma'am,"

"Oh, thanks," I collect the food from her before paying the delivery guy.

"Where's Carlos?" I ask

"He's playing in his room, Shall I get him?"

"Yes, and could you get me plates?"

"Sure ma'am," she tells me before disappearing to get Carlos 

He beams in Sandra's arms playing with his toy airplane and Sandra puts him in his chair serving his food.

"Te gusta?" (Do you like it?)

"Si," Carlos replies smiling at me putting some noodles in his mouth and I smile at him

Carlos is growing fast, he's almost two and is already looking so much like his father.

Helping him with his food, I switch on the television for him while I focus on my work.

My phone rings and the caller ID flashes Isabel. She's lucky I'm in a good mood today.

"Hi," I say flatly

"C'mon, I already apologized,"

"No es la primera vez," (It's not the first time)

"Prometo que sera el ultimo," (I promise it will be the last)

"Last chance." I warn her

"Thanks," she sighs in relief

"How are things?"

"Good, in case you're asking about Fabiano we're giving each other space,"

"It's all for the best, I guess,"

"It is...When are you coming to Mexico?"

"Jason's wedding," I tell her

"I'm surprised you're coming," she chuckles

"Don't push it,"

Seeing the Wilsons together as a family made me miss my family although I would never admit that out loud. They are one of the largest mafias yet they are a close-knit family. It would be nice to be back on Mexican soil and see everyone. 

"I'll be there too," she laughs "bye." 

...

The doorbell rings, I look through the peephole to see Martin and open the door. 

"I brought some files regarding the next shipment going through London," 

Smiling I open the door wider and he walks past me inside, his head buried in the files. 

"Uncle!!" Carlos shouts and Martin puts the file on the coffee table and lifts him in the air before hugging him.

"How's my favourite boy?" he beams at Carlos

"Good," He nods his head "new toys!"

"Oh, let's go check them out," he smiles and Carlos leads him upstairs

I quietly follow them upstairs watching from the door frame as Carlos shows Martin his toys. I tiptoe back downstairs taking a look at the files Martin and I are supposed to review.

"You should've called me to come help," he tells me from the doorway

I shrug "I didn't want to ruin your moment with Carlos,"

"Okay,"

A few minutes later I and Martin drop the files and dive into business conversations before we drift to personal conversations. 

"You know, Cole is pretty fun," he grins

"What do you mean?" I narrow my eyes at him

"We hung out yesterday," he shrugs

"You went out with a business partner behind my back," I poke him with the pen

"I sent you a text asking if you wanted to come," He shrugs and I look away remembering my bad habits of not opening texts when I'm mad at someone.

"Whatever," I wave it off "But how did you guys meet?"

"When you were picking out recruits,"

"Oh," 

...

Martin leaves about an hour later and I tend to business calls and papers before leaving for work. 

Once I get to the office, I remember the girl who had knocked out the brown-haired boy and send for her immediately, a small knock breaks me away from my thoughts.

"Come in!"

"Ah, it's you," I smile "Take a seat," I tell her

"What's your name?"

"Juana," she replies

"So you're a Spaniard?"

"Si,"

"How did you get to this mafia, I mean your fighting skills and all," I lean over the desk

"Can I speak in Spanish?" She asks me, her thick Spanish accent audible 

Juana had it rough after her dad died of a drug overdose here in America and her mom committed suicide. She wanted to be independent so she started learning from the streets. She found herself in Philadelphia whilst running away from someone and there she met Dave who saw potential in her. i hand her some money and tell her to keep up the good work and she beams at me thanking me profusely before leaving my office.

...

"It's time to pledge your allegiance to the mafia!" Dave claps gathering all of them around.

Watching all of them intently, I check my watch tapping my foot on the floor continuously.

Martin appears next to me and I glance at him.

"Your meetings ended quite early,"

"I can't miss this moment," he tells me and we focus our attention back on the recruits.

"Mafia before family!" They all pledge

"If I snitch my brothers and sisters, I die!"

"Mafia before friends! Mafia before love! Mafia before anyone!" they yell in unison 

"Good," I state

"Now listen up!" my voice booms through the room

"You break this oath and this is what happens," I tell them pulling out a gun and aiming it at one of the practice shooting dummies, the bullet hits it with a resounding bam!

"That's what happens,"

"You just took an Omerta! If you want to live shut your mouth and do as you're told, but if you wanna end up like him," I point to the dummy I shot on the floor "then you just open your mouth."

"Welcome to the family," Martin steps up next to me giving them a warm smile

I leave the recruits to learn about the mafia and head back to my office. 

Make me smile by clicking the star at the bottom of the screen :)

PLEASE VOTE COMMENT AND SHARE!!

Omerta- An oath taken by a new mafia member to never betray the mafia by giving evidence of their activities to the police.

Who else has a habit of not replying to texts or returning calls?