34

It's nearing Zak's dad birthday which everyone can tell is making Zak depressed.  Even his mother doesn't know how to snap him out of it. At his house his dog sister Denise is playing with Gracie when he comes in.  "Hey Zak you're home early".  "Yeah"he replied hanging up his coat.  "Something wrong you seem to be in another realm so to speak" as Zak sat down.  "I'm just feeling depressed".  "Why?" sitting next to him. 

"My father's birthday is in a couple of days and it just really hurts that he's not here anymore" wiping the tears away.  "Did you do anything special for him?"she asked.  "If I was working I would send him a card with a gift card to his favorite restaurant but if I wasn't I'd fly down and I'd take him out to his favorite restaurant.  I would even go to his favorite bakery and get him his favorite cake and we both have a slice there" Zak replied.  Then Gracie came over with her leash.

"I think Gracie wants to go for a walk" Denise remarked as Zak snickered.  "Come on you drama queen,".  "Hey Denise".  "Yeah Zak".  "Thanks for listening it kind of made me feel a little better" he stated.  "How about I make you my favorite pot roast and you tell me more about your dad" she suggested.

"Sure" and they left.  A few days went by and Zak was going to Florida to visit his father's grave.  "Thanks for watching Gracie for me".  "No problem Zak I'll see you in a few days"Denise remarked. As Zak drove to the cemetery thoughts of his father ran through his mind some which made Zak tear up.  When he got there his mother was there.  "Mom I thought you were in Las Vegas" giving her a hug.

"I may of divorce your father but we were there for you and I thought you might need some strength" holding his hand.  After a while Zak and his mother walked to their cars.  "Zak I was thinking why don't you and I go to your father's favorite restaurant and have some dinner" she suggested.  "All right" and they left.  When they got there Zak and his mother went in.  "Zak how nice to see to you we have your table ready for you".  A little confused Zak and his mom followed the waiter to a back room.

He opened the door and in the room were his crew and Denise.  "Mom was this your idea?"he asked surprise to see everyone.  "No it was all Denise's idea"Aaron replied.  "She was the one who planned all this as a remembrance for your father" his mother stated.  She walked up and gave Zak a hug.  They all sat down and they ate Zak's father favorite meal.  "How did you come up with this Denise?"Jay inquired. 

"I did this the first birthday after I lost my father and I thought I'd do it for Zak because it's like celebrating the person even thou the person has left this world he or she is still here in our heart and our minds" Denise replied.  Everyone shared memories of Zak's father which made Zak smile.  Denise got up and brought over a cake with a halo in the middle with Zak's father's name in the halo. 

She than put candles around the halo.  "What do we do?"Billy  inquired.  "We sing happy birthday and Zak and his mom blow out the candles".  Everyone started singing as tears fell down Zak's face after they finished both Zak and his mom blew out the candles. 

"And this is your father's favorite cake I got it from the same bakery you would get it from Zak" Denise replied.  After everything was over Zak thanked everyone for coming.  As Denise grabbed her coat Zak walked over to her.  "Thanks for doing this it really helped me get through today".  "It's my pleasure Zak just listening to you talk about your father made me think of my father too" She remarked.  "If you don't mind me asking how did your father die?".  "He was in tower two when it went down on 9/11" Denise replied. 

"That's why you did this to remember your father even thou they never found a body".  "I still have my memories and this".  She showed Zak a tattoo on her arm which is a heart with the word never forgotten with a picture of her father.  "That's cool Denise".  "I should get back I owe my mother big time for watching Gracie".  "I'll see you tomorrow Denise".  Before she left Zak gave her a hug.