161

Only about fifteen minutes later, Bill had come back with Aline. She took a look at me while Bill went and got Sebastian who had been downstairs all night without saying a word. He had been reading the same book over and over again. Kathleen was here as well.

Aline determined that I had lost my baby and had to come to the hospital to deliver her vaginally. Yes, it turned out to be a girl. Never have I been so broken. The baby was almost fifteen weeks which meant I had to actually give birth to her.

"It's just one push, Liz. One last push and it's over with." Aline tried comforting me.

"I can't." I cried. "Please, I can't."

Having to give birth while knowing I wouldn't have a baby to take home was heartbreaking. Birth is normally rough but having to use your strength when you didn't get anything from it. Aline let me hold her after she told me it was a girl. She was so tiny. She could fit in the palm of my hand and she was all pink and... she was so tiny.

I had to stay at the hospital for a few hours to regain my strength. Aline used a spell to get rid of the cramps I was still experiencing and around six in the morning, Kathleen, Sebastian and I apparated back to the Burrow.

Everyone were asleep except from Bill. He had asked if I was okay and I simply nodded while watching George who was asleep on the sofa. His head was wrapped in bandages and it was mostly covering his ear.

"It was kinda rough." Bill told me when he saw how I looked at George. "The lower part of his left ear is gone and his hearing probably won't be the same. He's not dead but he's lost some hearing on that ear."

I let out a breath, shaking my head slightly. "How am I supposed to tell him about this? He got badly injured last night and now I have to tell him that he doesn't even have a child to look forward to."

I closed my eyes and took a deep breath. I didn't want to cry. If I cried, I knew I wouldn't be able to stop for a while.

"You should rest." Bill told me.

Sebastian had gone to bed after giving me a long hug and so dit Kathy. I couldn't help but envy her. She was still pregnant. She was still going to be a mother. What if I could never conceive again? What if I couldn't carry a baby to full term?

"Lizzie." Bill snapped me out of my thoughts, placing a hand on my upper arm. "You need to sleep."

"I can't."

"You heard Aline." He said. "Loads of rest."

"I want to stay close to George." I said. "I can't sleep without him. Not after last night."

I walked over to the sofa and sat down on the floor near his face. He looked peaceful. He was facing me, his eyes closed and his lips parted as he breathed heavily.

"I'll make you some tea." Bill spoke, giving up on making me go to bed. I muttered a quiet thank you as he walked into the kitchen. I ran my fingers through George's hair, smiling weakly at the sight of him though my eyes had filled with tears.

"I'm sorry." I whispered, brushing my knuckles over his jawline. I rested my head against the sofa and closed my eyes. Just being close to him even if he was asleep, felt nice and comforting.

I didn't know how I was going to tell him. He had been hurt badly. How was I going to tell him our baby had died after he lost half of his ear and some of his hearing? We were never going to get a fucking break. Once again, I felt powerless. I felt powerless over the situation, the not knowing that else was going to happen. I hated that I didn't have control over my own life. I had no control when my dad died. I had no control when I found out he didn't actually die, that he faked it to leave us. I had no control when my brother decided to leave and I then had to step up at the age of nine. I had no control when he decided to come back in my life, though I am now happy about that. I had no control when my father kidnapped me, made sure I got beat, made me watch him beat my brother, when one of the Carrows sexually assaulted. I had no control when he murdered my mother, I had no control when George got hurt and I had no control when I lost my baby last night.

I was scared. Scared about the present and scared about the future...