200

"You're okay." I whispered to Benjamin as I kept brushing my hand over his forehead and into his hair. "You're with mum now Benji. You're safe. She'll take care of you."

I was holding him in my arms. His back was against my chest and I closed my eyes as I rested my cheek against his head. "I'm sorry I failed you."

My world had fallen down. I didn't know what to do. The war was over and a lot of people were gathering the dead bodies in the great hall as others were being treated for their wounds. George was sitting next to Fred and so was Deanne but on the other side and I... I was sitting with my own brother. My brother who only got to turn fourteen.

"Hey."

I looked up as Sebastian approached, sitting down with Benjamin and I. I didn't reply, I just nodded at him as I continued to rock Benjamin in my arms.

"Do you know who did this?" he asked lowly, eyes flicking to our baby brother. I shook my head, closing my eyes again.

"Charlie and Wood came in with him. I don't know anything else."

"Fuck." he breathed. "Why was he in England? He shouldn't have been here."

"I don't know." I replied. "I don't think Badger's here. I haven't seen him so I'm not sure he knows about Benny."

Then I started crying again when a specific memory popped into my head.

"Can you get Harry's autograph for me this year?"

"Oh alright, sure." I said, his face lighting up. "I have to go now though. I don't want to miss the train."

"I never got him his autograph." I cried. "I promised him Harry's autograph and I forgot."

Sebastian placed a hand on my shoulder and gently rubbed it to comfort me, though I just continued to cry. "I'm sure he doesn't mind. He's in a better place, Betsy. I'm sure he's with mum up there right now, looking down and wishing he could tell you that he doesn't care about the autograph. That he doesn't want you to feel guilty about it."

"No." I cried. "I promised him. It would take five minutes to ask Harry for one and not much longer to send it home but I didn't. That was four years ago, Bash. I didn't do it and now he's gone."

Sebastian frowned and his face scrunched up as he tried to hold back the tears. He cursed under his breath, then rubbed his eyes with his thumb and index finger. "I'm gonna go help Bill and Charlie with the bodies."

He got up and left the Great Hall in a rush. While I kept holding Benjamin in my arms, I turned my head and looked at Fred. He was right next to George who was right next to me.

"I'm pregnant." Deanne spoke. She didn't talk to us, she talked to herself, almost as if she was in disbelief, though George raised his head and looked at her in shock. "I never got to tell him."

"Where's my son!" I heard Badger's voice. "Benjamin? Where are you?!"

He ran around, trying to find them and I realized he had no idea that Ben was dead. Badger's eyes landed on me and when he saw who I had in my arms, he stumbled backwards, then hurried over, ripping my brother out of my arms to hold him.

"Ben!" He roared as he started to cry. "No, no, no. Ben!"

Badger looked up at me as I wiped my cheeks. "Why didn't you protect him?"

"Wha— I—" I shook my head, unable to find words.

"She didn't know he was here." George hurried to say when he saw how shocked I was over Badger's question. "She didn't know until it was too late. You can't blame her."

"He was supposed to be at home." Badger cried, rocking his son back and forth in his arms. "He stole my broom. He came here by himself. I noticed when I got back from work."

A sigh left my mouth and I looked down as I closed my eyes. I wanted this to end. This day, the pain. I had hoped and I had believed that this year would be better than the last but I lost people again and I wasn't sure I was going to get through it this time without some permanent damage.

-
I'm sorry it has taken me this long to update. I haven't been in school for over a week now because of my anxiety and depression making it too hard but today I went even though I felt my anxiety the whole time.

Next chapter is the last and then I will inform you about the third book in the series that I intent to write.

- Julie