Chapter 136: Behind the words

At the Vermillion Household, Erin was sitting on the couch with Fenrir below her. She was playing with the wolf while talking with Rias on her side

"I see. So you talked about things like that with Sona."

The Goddess narrated her earlier encounter with Saji and the talk she had with the council members

"Hmm. Doesn't President Sona also have someone that she is engaged with? I mean, does she have a fiancé?" Erin made a thinking expression as she patted Fenrir's head

"She's from the noble house and it wouldn't be unusual if she is set-up with someone."

"She did." replied Rias. "But she broke it off like I did."

"Really?" Fenrir ran off when he was called by Sebastian and Erin focused back on the conversation. "How did she do it?"

"It happened a bit before. She apparently challenged him to a game of chess and if she won, the engagement would be broken off. But if she were to lose then she had to quit school and get married immediately."

"Ah..." Erin made a thinking expression. "That chess condition pretty much suits her personality."

"Yes. And Sona declared beforehand that she won't marry someone who can't use her brain like her."

"So in the end, she won and the engagement was broken off, right?"

Rias nodded at the words

"Sona won the game with an overwhelming difference and broke the opponent's pride into pieces. It's that Sona who won against Seegvaira Agares in tactics. Normal people can't win against her."

"That made me wonder on what will happen if our group face her on the Rating Games." Erin looked at Rias. "I think we have the advantage when it comes to power."

"That's right. In a power battle, we won't lose against the Sitri group. But if the Rating Game is mainly about strategy then they have the advantage compared to us."

"I listened to President's Sona's strategies during their match with the Agares group." Erin spoke in amusement. "Honestly, it was really impressive. She's excellent in that field but we can catch up to her if we manage to train on the strategy aspect."

Erin unconsciously welcomed Rias on her arms when the girl leaned towards her

" I believe you will improve on that aspect. You can step up with President Sona especially when you are improving each day."

"Mmm. But as of the moment, if I have a game of chess with her right now, it would seem that I will lose more than I will win." said Rias with a small laugh

"Her condition regarding her engagement was really creative, though." Erin mused. "I wonder.. if I got engaged, what will I do to break it off in case I wanted to."

Hearing this, Rias lightly gasped and slapped Erin's arm.

"Ow! What was that for?"

"Erin.." Rias narrowed her eyes on the Goddess. "What are you saying?"

"That was a hypothethical question!"

"You're not referring to our engagement, are you?" Rias crossed her arms over her chest. Erin feigned a look that says 'Oh no, she read my mind' and Rias gasped in shock.

"ERIN!"

"What?" Erin backed away from Rias and raised her hands in defense. She had a silly smile as Rias continued her upset look

"I hope you aren't really thinking about that." said Rias with a glare. "Though we are technically engaged, we are yet to make that one come to reality."