CHAPTER 26

Everyone was back in the hotel room telling each other about what they had found

"Leftovers", Dean said examining a piece of bone that Sam and Jack had brought back.

"Yeah, bite marks. Looks like a ghoul", Sam stated.

"Huh, I've never seen a ghoul", Lizziel said while Castiel explained to Jack, "Oh, a ghoul is a monster that feeds on the dead. They can take the form of whomever they've eaten. Decapitation kills them".

"Yeah, or bashing their brains in", Dean said.

"Bashing their brains in sounds more awesome", Lizziel said causing Dean to give her a proud look while Castiel gave her a disappointed look.

"So, like a zombie shapeshifter?", Jack asked.

"Pretty much, yeah. And he could have tunnels all over that graveyard", Sam replied.

"But if it could be anyone, how do we find it?", Jack asked, squinting his eyes in confusion.

All five of them got to researching and after a while of coming up with dead ends, Dean said, "Can I just say I'm getting real sick and tired of fighting things that look like other things?".

"Maybe the ghoul is this Athena", Castiel suggested.

"Yeah. A ghoul who owns a mortuary. That's smart but", Sam said but Lizziel interrupted him, "But she's got access to the bodies before they're ever in the ground".

"Exactly. Anything she wants, she would just take. She doesn't have to dig 'em back up", Dean said.

"I think I found something", Jack said gaining everyone's attention, "I tracked the plates on the stolen truck from the crime scene and I went through the city's traffic camera footage, and look". Jack showed them all the laptop screen, "This is it. From yesterday, before the deputy was killed".

"Well then, who's driving?", Dean asked, zooming into the picture and exhaling sharply, "Holy crap. That's Dave Mather".

"No way", Lizziel said excitedly while everyone else asked, "Who?".

"Dave Mather. Cowboy. Outlaw. One of the Dodge City gang", Dean said as he grabbed a photo frame from the wall and handed it to Castiel.

"He was one of the greatest gunfighters ever. I mean he died in 1886, so this is a little weird but", Lizziel said and then both Dean and her continued, "Mysterious Dave Mather".

"I'm gonna get my boots on", Dean said, an ecstatic grin on his face.

"Ooh, me too", Lizziel said, running after him, joy radiating of her face. Sam and Castiel couldn't help but smile at the fact that she was truly happy while, Jack looked around confused.

*****

"So, our ghoul ate some Old West gunfighter and stole his face?", Dean asked as they were preparing to go against the ghoul.