Hidden

Paisley

I'm laying face up in the middle of my bed and I look around my room, scanning over it, is if I expect something to change.

Everything is the same. The plain white desk with a chair that sits to my right which that lies below a window. I see the stringed lights that go all around my room, and the walls that are painted a boring shade of gray. A large bookshelf sits across from my bed and has lots of books. They are my only source of entertainment these days.

This is the last place I want to be, but I'm not allowed out of my room after dark. I've never left my house since I was 8 years old. Even though I am 15 now and I long to spend time with someone my own age, I can't.

Other than my childhood best friend, Daphne Greengrass, I've never met a single other person in my life other than my family, and therefore, I doubt that no one but my dad and her know I even exist.

I'm beyond bored now, so I walk over to my desk and sit down. I lay my arms down and rest my chin. I just stare out my window blankly. Ever since I was little, I've always been fascinated by the billions of sparkling stars that lay across the night sky. My mum used to bring me outside and we used to talk and gaze up at all of them. Used to.

My mother always told me that each star in the sky was a person who had died and was watching over us. I hope she's up there because I talk to the stars often at night hoping that she'll hear me, especially when I can't sleep or when I'm stressed. This is one of those nights. "I wish you were here mom," I say while looking up.

I miss her every day. She passed away when I was 8 from cancer; at least that's what my dad told me when she died. Ever since then, my dad has never let me leave the house and I never saw Daphne again.

I sit there for probably an hour, just staring. I slowly get up from my desk and walk to my bookshelf because reading often makes me tired. I've read all these books at least twice before. Some of them including my parents old school books from when they went to a magic school called Hogwarts, which is where they met. I've always dreamed about going to that school ever since I found out about it. I wonder if Daphne goes there?

I've gotten an acceptance letter from that school every year since I was 11, but my dad refused to let me go, and I still don't understand why. So many of my questions were left unanswered.

I grabbed a book called, 'A History of Magic' by Bathilda Bagshott, and flopped on my bed. As I open the book my dad comes into my room.

"Paisley, you can't come down from your room yet. This meeting lasted longer than other ones have, but I know you know this already. I'll be downstairs then okay?" He says.

"Yeah, I know dad. I'll be here, like always," I say back while hanging my head down, avoiding his eyes.

"You know I love you Paisley. This is all for the best," he explains, knowing that I don't like when he has to be in the meetings, especially when the meetings are held here.

"Yeah I know," I say. He nods his head, giving me a sad smile before he turns around and closes my door, leaving me alone once again. But I'm used to it now.

My mind is traveling to other places than my book, because it feels like a part of me is missing. Normal teenagers my age are hanging out with friends, going to parties, going to school, and having fun. I want to feel love, happiness, and excitement. These are the things I'm longing for, but I have none of it.

A regain my focus, prop the book back up on my lap, and I start to read. I read for hours upon hours and I'm starting to get hungry now. It's late into the middle of the night and I'm debating wether or not to go downstairs to the kitchen and get something to eat. Finally, I make the decision to go.