Lucky to be Alive

Paisley

I didn't sleep at all last night. I actually ended up going to his room and standing in the doorway for about an hour until Blaise found me and said I should go back to my dorm. Madam Pomfrey said I needed sleep, and I got none. I was far too worried about if Draco would wake up or if he was even still alive.

I got on a fresh pair of clothes, and once we were allowed out of our common rooms, I went straight to the Hospital Wing and knocked on the door. I know that visitors aren't allowed till later, but I don't care. Madam Pomfrey let me in and I practically sprinted to where Draco still laid in the same position as when I left. He didn't wake up yet, but I could tell he was steadily breathing.

"He should be waking up soon." Madam Pomfrey said after she saw how I looked at him and how worried I still was.

I didn't look at her. I just kept my eyes on him as I heard her walk out of the room and back into her office.

I pulled my chair as close as possible to his bed and held his hand in mine. For another hour, I just sat there in my thoughts about Draco. I remembered all the times we had together; the good and the bad, and Snape is the reason he's alive right now. I could be mourning his death right now if Snape hadn't been there. There is no amount of thanks I could ever give to him to show how much I really appreciate everything he's done for both of us.

As I remembered the events of yesterday through my mind, anger rises. Harry is the reason Draco's here. If Snape hadn't been there, Draco would have died. Harry should be suspended, expelled, or disciplined for what he did. Why would he ever do something like that?

That's what bothers me the most, it's that Harry was the one who hurt him. The person who has always been there for me in a brotherly way. He's the person I could relate to when I talked about my father and my mother. We had become so close, and now he's almost killed the person I love, just out of pure hatred?

The sun was now shining in through the windows of the Hospital as I still held onto Draco's hand. I felt like crying again. I didn't want to cry, but everything just happened so fast. This could've been the end of everything. That's scares me.

Suddenly I felt his finger slightly wiggle, and then his hand grabbed onto mine. Sure enough, Draco moved slightly and then opened his eyes facing me. There he was; my Draco was looking back up at me. "It's okay. Everything's okay now, Draco." I cried happy tears. He's okay, he really is.

He shifted his head and then with a weak voice I didn't recognize, he said, "I love you too." It was like the world around us had stopped; like it was just us. He heard me when I told him. Hearing him say those words meant the world to me. Draco loves me back.

I smiled as a tear trickled down. I leaned down and held his face in my hands before I kissed him. It was the kind of kiss that makes you contemplate if this was really real. We kissed like the world was ending. We both smiled through it.

As I leaned back in my chair, he held my right arm. He lifted up the sleeve with a shaky hand and with as much strength he could give. He saw that there were no new cuts. "I'm okay." I said.

He leaned back onto his pillow and let go of my arm. "Well, it doesn't look like you are. Did you sleep last night? Did you eat at all yesterday?" His voice still sounded tired and raspy.

"No." I said. "I thought you died. I thought I lost you."

He moved and winced in pain. He looked down and pulled down the covers before lifting up his shirt. There were probably a dozen cuts, each about 3-4 inches long. His eyes grew wide.

I pulled his shirt back down. "Don't look." I said.

I think he decided to look at me instead. I looked at him too. I examined all of his features. His cheeks were no longer as white as a ghost, they were full of life. He was alive. "Do you...do you remember what happened?" I asked, trying hard not to cry again.