Improvement

Draco

As my health improved the longer I stayed in the Hospital Wing, Paisley's seemed to get worse. Every day she visited, she seemed a little more tired and worn out. I knew she wasn't sleeping, and I've brought it up to her before, but she says she's fine and that I shouldn't focus on her; that I should focus on getting better. She does this thing where she pretends she's fine because she doesn't want others to worry. She puts my needs before hers, and because of that, I really question why she's not in Gryffindor with Potter right now.

Obviously I'm really angry with Potter, but like Paisley said, I don't really understand either. I mean, I know Potter and I have our major differences and we hate each other, but even I know Potter wouldn't intentionally hurt someone unless they deserved it. Did he think I deserved this, or was this an accident? Either way, I still hate him and he put me in this hospital. He deserves whatever punishment he got.

Paisley's come to visit me between classes, before they started, and after they ended. And last weekend she came and told me about her unusual lesson with Snape. Overall, she comes and talked to me whenever she can.

It's after the last class of the day and I see Paisley walking into the Hospital Wing with a worried expression. She handed me my homework and sat down in her usual spot, but didn't say anything. "What's wrong?" I asked.

She sighed. "Well...I saw Harry in the corridor on my way here." She looked down and fiddled with her rings. I noticed that one of her hands was very red. "He - he walked up to me because we were passing each other and he was...weirdly happy. Like, I mean, really enthusiastic. He acted like he never hurt you."

I think I know what happened. "I tried to punch him, Draco, just as I punched Adrian last year. But - but then it was like something forced my hand not to hit him. It was weird. My hand hit the wall instead. I guess he was just lucky that I missed."

I knew she had more to say, so I sat back and listened. "It's normal for you to get into fights. But me? I - I don't know what's gotten into me. It's like I can't control anything anymore. I can't control my anger, and I definitely can't control my sadness."

She suddenly looked up at me. "Is this how you feel? When you get into fights? Like you just can't control anything?"

"You're a good person, Paisley. You're not like me." I said.

"But you're a good person too." I gave her a look. "Well, you're good too me, and that's enough for me to say that you're a good person."

Madam Pomfrey hurried out of her office and did my usual treatment and checkup. After she rubbed the cream on my marks, I mentioned that Madam Pomfrey should take a look at Paisley's hand. Paisley was mad that I pointed it out and shot me a look before Madam Pomfrey said a few quick spells to take the swelling away. Her hand was healed within minutes.

Madam Pomfrey left to go back to her office and we were alone yet again. "Okay," I said, making her look at me. "I've had enough of this." I started to move. "You're going to lay next to me."

She still sat in her seat, unable to stop the fact that I already committed to moving over. It wasn't too difficult. It just hurt my abdomen a little bit.

I reached the end of the bed and finished making room for her, but she still sat there, uncertain about sitting next to me. "Come on." I held out my hand and she slowly reached out and grabbed it.

I laid down more as she got in and laid down next to me. She was going to wrap her arm around my torso, but stopped herself. I moved her arm so that it was more on my neck and chest, than lower where it might hurt.

She turned so she was laying more on her stomach and then turned her head to face me while her arm still laid across me; her hand in my hair.

I wrapped my arms around her as I kept my eyes on her. We looked at each other while she calmly ran her hands through my hair. She liked doing that, I think it calmed her down too.