My Girls

Paisley

The past few days Draco has seemed really on edge. It was only until this morning, the morning of our next appointment, that he finally told me why. It was because in the first meeting in the time he was away, he was ordered to kill me before the battle, set to be on May 2nd. He told me he's not going to listen, but he might get punished or even killed for it. He met with Snape and all Snape said to do was to wait it out until May 2nd and then hide away, which then hopefully the Dark Lord and his army will have lost. That's by a long shot.

It was so much information given that all I had to respond with was, "so what you're telling me is that if we don't win and I'm still alive, you'll be killed, and if I can't hide well enough if that happens then I'll be killed too." I only repeated what he told me but in realistic terms. We knew that everyone's lives were at stake in this war, but now our lives were really at stake this time.

He didn't say anything after that because we both knew I was right. Either we both live under very lucky circumstances, he gets killed because he doesn't do what Voldemort says, or we both get killed. And there was no way to know which fate was ours.

I glanced at the time. "Our appointment is in ten minutes." I said as I got up the bed. "We can talk about this later."

He stood up too and nodded before he grabbed my hand. I took a second to look down at the way his thumb rubbed my hand to try and calm me down. When I looked at him, his silver eyes were already staring at me. I was tearing up. "Don't cry okay? Think about the baby. The baby." He pleaded, but I was already crying.

"You mean think about the baby that's going to grow up without a father? Or die before it's even born?" Tears streamed down my cheeks as he pulled me into a hug.

"Please don't say that. You don't know that that's going to happen." He said. "We have people to help us; to protect us. We have time to make a plan." I know it broke his heart to see me like this and to hear me say those words. I had to say it though, because he wasn't going to. "We have to stay...hopeful."

"But how are we supposed to stay hopeful when things keep going wrong?" I asked, still hugging him back.

"We just have to." He said. "Wait, since when was I the optimistic one?" A small, sad laugh escaped my mouth and so we stopped hugging.

I wiped my tears away. "Okay, okay we actually have to go now, I'm sorry."

"Don't be sorry." He said before we both left our dorm to go. This conversation wasn't over.

We walked holding each other's hands to the Hospital Wing as we did most weeks. I totally forgot to tell him about the last appointment he missed, that we could possibly be finding out the gender today. But wasn't going to tell him because I didn't want to get his hopes up after we both know we might not even get as far as having this baby. I didn't even want to get my own hopes up at this point.

When we walked in we went to our usual spot where Madam Pomfrey was patiently waiting for us. "Our apologies for the...late arrival." Draco said as I laid down on the bed and she closed the curtains.

"Don't apologize." She gave us a smile. "Things happen." I think she could tell I was crying.

I looked up at Draco as he was still holding my hand, and I fought back more tears. When I looked back forward, she had already started and there was the small ball of light, beating just as normal as before. That's good at least. Really good.

Next she felt around my stomach and nodded every time it was good. All three of us stayed silent while she checked on the baby and did a few more tests, ones that she did every time. But then she did one more where she placed her wand on my stomach, muttered something I couldn't understand, and then closed her eyes for a few seconds. I'm not going to lie, it was a little weird. Draco and I kept exchanging glances of confusion. But then she said, "I know the gender now. I'm not sure if you told Mr. Malfoy we might find that out soon. It is your decision if you would like to know or not."