Umbridge

Paisley

Transfiguration was pretty boring because Professor McGonagall just talked the whole class period about what we would be doing this year. Thankfully, we got to choose our seats so I sat by Daphne. Blaise and Pansy sat together and Draco sat alone in the back of the room. In a weird way, I kind of felt bad for him even though I've hated him since the day I met him. He said that he would make my life a living hell if I became his enemy, but I think he was just saying that to try and scare me off. 'He's not a people person', as my dad would've said.

After the bell rang, I grabbed my things and walked with Daphne to our next class which was Defense Against the Dark Arts. For the past two classes, everyone was giving Harry dirty looks, so I wonder what that was about? Maybe it's because he claims Voldemort has returned and no one believes him. They all probably think he's crazy, but I believe him. When we walked in I saw the short, squat woman from last night that was still dressed in all pink. I remember her name as Delores Umbridge because Dumbledore introduced her as the new teacher. She walked from the back of the classroom while writing on the board with her wand.

"Ordinary Wizarding Levels examinations, otherwise known as O.W.L.'s. Study hard and you will be rewarded. Fail to do so, and the consequences may be severe," she says while standing in the front of the classroom now. She waved her wand and stacks of books come off the front table. One was placed on each desk. "You will be following a carefully constructed Ministry-approved course following the lessons in the books." She sounded annoyed and judgmental. I took the book in my hands and read the cover, 'Dark Arts Defense, basics for Beginners'.

"There isn't anything in here about using defensive spells," Hermione says as we all look through the contents of the book.

"Using spells? You will not need to use spells," she says while letting out an annoying high-pitched giggle.

"How will we be able to defend ourselves from what's out there if we don't practice spells?" Harry says angrily.

"There is nothing out there," she says.

"Yes there is, Lord Voldemort is out there!" Harry says.

"You have been told rumors, but that is a lie!" Umbridge says not getting mad at him.

"No it's not!" I say, because I knew for a fact that the dark lord was out there. As I say this, Hermione looks at me and slowly shakes her head side to side, as if she was trying to tell me to stop talking.

"Yes it is," she says again.

"It's not a lie! Cedric Diggory was killed and I saw him!" Harry says.

"It is a lie!" Umbridge says again, now beginning to yell.

"It's not a lie!" I yell, not really caring about what she would say next. I believe Harry and other people should too.

"Detention! Both of you!" She yells out at the two of us.

I hate her already.

✩︎✩︎✩︎

"You already got detention and it's the first day," Draco says at dinner.

"Yes, I'm aware Malfoy. I got it because I stood up for what's right," I said as I put food on my plate.

"You stood up for Potter. Pathetic."

"Pathetic? Knowing you, you probably got detention every day last year."

"You don't know me Jones, so don't act like you do."

I rolled my eyes, but didn't talk back. I was not going to waste my time arguing with him.

"Umbridge works for the Ministry you know, I wouldn't want to get on her bad side," Daphne says in the nicest way possible. I knew she was right.