Acceptance Letter

Paisley

I'm standing at the edge of a beautiful pond and it's night, so I'm looking up at all the stars. As I look around, I see a person who appears to be bald with no nose, and I realize who that is right away.

Lord Voldemort.

I felt venerable and unable to defend myself from him as I was too scared to move. He pulled out a wand from his pocket and aimed it at me. "You will have the same fate as your filthy mother.....Avada Kedavra!" Voldemort yelled.

The last thing I saw was a blinding green light come from his wand and expand so that it was the only thing I could see. I no longer saw the stars in the night sky. I felt unbelievable pain as I screamed as loud as I could.... and then everything went black.

✩︎✩︎✩︎

I woke up in a cold sweat and flinched. My dad and Molly were at my bedside looking at me as if they saw a ghost. He placed his hand on my shoulder. It was just a dream....it was just a dream....it was just a dream. I remind myself this over and over.

"Molly and the others stayed the night in the guest rooms. The meeting lasted too late and everyone was tired," my dad explained.

"Are you alright dear? Me and your father were scared. We heard screaming coming from your room so we came in," Molly says with a worried expression on her face. The two of them glanced at the books scattered across the floor.

"Umm...yeah I'm fine. It was just a nightmare, that's all," I say. But it wasn't just a nightmare, and I knew it. I don't remember the last time I had a nightmare nearly as bad as that one was. Maybe it was the stress?

Molly stood up. "Alright well, breakfast will be ready in about a half an hour. I'll leave you two then," she said as she exited my room to head downstairs.

"Are you sure you're okay Paisley?" My dad asks.

"Yeah, I'll be fine."

"Okay. I know this is all still a shock to you, but I'm here for you, okay? I shouldn't have kept this from you. I know you must be feeling so angry at me." He glanced at the books again. "Remember, you will always be my star. And come down for breakfast. Molly always makes the most delicious meals." He gets up and leaves me in my room alone. My dad always called me his star because he knew my mom and I loved the stars. My mom used to call me her star.

I sit on my bed for a few minutes just staring blankly at the wall of my room, noticing a dent in the wall from one of the books hitting it.

After persuading myself to get up, even though I'm super tired from last night, I go to my dresser and pick out something nice to wear. I grabbed my nicest jumper and I went to the lavatory to get ready. I tried to make myself look presentable because there are other people in this house now. There are actually other people here now, other than my dad and I. Maybe I won't be so lonely anymore?

Having that thought in my head made me more happy and awake, and I started to forget about the nightmare. I then went downstairs to join the others for breakfast.

When I walked into the dining room, there were platters of breakfast foods spread all along the table. I have never had a big breakfast like this since before my mom died (my dad isn't the best cook). I walked over to the table and sat down next to a girl with curly hair that seemed to be around my age. "It's Paisley, right? I'm Hermione by the way," she introduced.

"Yea it's Paisley. Nice to meet you," I say as I find myself nervous because I've never talked to anyone my own age before. This was so nerve wracking.

"Yeah, you too! How old are you?" Hermione asks.