Panic Rising

Draco

Today's the day, and I'm terrified. I know that I can't fucking kill a person, and Paisley knows it too. I know that she doesn't want me to do this, and if I end up committing murder, she's afraid of what I'll become. Paisley wants to help me but doesn't have a clue how to do it.

Paisley is at my bedside in the Hospital because I'm here for my afternoon checkup with Madam Pomfrey. By now, everyone is going back to their common rooms and having fun with friends, completely unaware of what is about to happen.

The sky has turned a dark gray almost like there would be a storm coming, except for there's no storm. That's my signal to leave to the Room of Requirement, but there's going to be a small detour.

Paisley and I look at each other and I can see the panic rising in her eyes as I hold her hand. Madam Pomfrey is in her office and I can hear the Professors tell other students to leave. They all know what this darkness over Hogwarts means.

I get up off the bed and she stands up with me. After seeing that no one is watching, I lead her out of the Hospital Wing and down the corridor that leads to Snape's classroom. Paisley will follow me right now because she doesn't want to leave my side, but what she doesn't know is that I need her to stay away so that she doesn't get hurt. Death eaters will be all around the school within the hour and she needs to stay safe, even if she doesn't want to.

We reached his classroom, so I stopped and looked at her. "You have to trust me, Paisley." I said.

"You know I trust you, but what are we doing here?" She asked with a slight shakiness in her voice.

I opened the door and pulled her into Snape's room. I closed the door behind us and quickly walked her to his office at the back of the classroom. When we entered the office, I said, "I know you want to help, but you can't right now. The best thing you can do for me is to stay safe."

I wanted to ease her into the idea of keeping her in here while I go complete my task. I've talked with Snape and we both think that it's best she has no involvement with this when the death eaters come and invade the school. He told me to bring her here.

"I don't have a lot of time, so I need you to listen." She became more worried as I talked. "You're going to stay here so that-"

She cut me off. "No. No Draco, I don't want to stay here. What if something happens or something goes wrong? What if you - you can't do it? What'll happen to you then?"

"I don't want you to worry about me, okay? You need to stay here so you don't get in the middle of everything." I stayed calm.

"No. I'm not staying here. I want to help." She said sternly. "You can't tell me what to do."

"Yeah, I've heard that before." I said, which annoyed her. "Look, I need you to stay safe. You're a target to the death eaters and I don't want them to hurt you, or worse."

She watched as I walked backwards towards the door. There were tears in her eyes. "Don't do this, please." I opened the door and she walked towards me. "I want to stay with you, Draco. Please."

"I have to go now." I said, backing out of the room. "I'm sorry."

She cried and walked towards me as I closed the door on her. I hated this, but it comes down to her safety. "Colloportus." I said, locking the door.

I heard her try to unlock the door manually and with the 'Alohamora' spell. She realized she couldn't open it. "Draco. Draco I know you're there. Please let me out, I can help you. You can't do this alone." She kept saying as she cried, starting to knock on the door too.