Promises We Make

Draco

I grab a hold of Paisley's hand before knocking on the headmaster's office. We've agreed to get Snape to help us carry out the plan to keep Paisley safer here at Hogwarts. I wasn't too sure about it at first, but Paisley wanted to do it, so I'll do it for her.

Daphne, Pansy, Blaise, and Miles insisted on coming with us, so the four of them are going to wait while we convince Snape to help us.

The door opened, and there he was, staring down at us with curiosity. Paisley and I didn't say anything as he moved to the side to let us both walk into his office. The headmaster's office was a lot different than I remember. The portraits were gone, many of Dumbledore's things were gone, the lights were dimmed, and the room was dark.

Snape stood in front of us. "I was thinking of you two."

Neither of us knew how to respond to that. We glanced at each other. "Snape, we - we need your help...again." Paisley said.

"You both know that this, me being headmaster, doesn't change-" Snape stopped himself mid-sentence. "Paisley, Draco, what do you need?"

"Were you going to say that you being headmaster doesn't change anything?" Paisley said, getting off topic. "It does. You're taking Dumbledore's place, and you have control now." I tried to signal Paisley to stop, but she didn't. "I want to know what side you're really on, Snape. Because it doesn't seem like you're helping. You killed Dumbledore, and now all these innocent students are under the death eaters control; under Voldemort's control. It doesn't seem fair."

When Paisley finally stopped, it seemed like those words actually may have hurt Snape. "That's enough. You can really run your mouth sometimes, Paisley. And may I ask which side you two are on? Draco?"

Paisley and I glanced at each other again, at a loss for what to say in response. "Now can you both get along with what you came here for in the first place? Because I also have some suggestions." Snape said.

I didn't know what that's meant, but I figured I should be the one to talk to him now. "We know that the Carrows are going to teach here, and that Paisley is wanted now by every death eater. But not every death eater knows what she looks like, just her name." I paused because continuing. "We came up with the idea that Paisley should go back to 'Paisley Jones' for as long as possible, that way the Carrows don't know who she is."

Snape started pacing around. "You want me to tell everyone that her last name is Jones then?"

"Well, yes." I said.

"You realize that everyone else knows her name here. By simply telling the Carrows that Jones is her last name isn't going to save her if everyone else knows the truth." He said. "This isn't one of your brightest plans."

"We hoped people would just go along with it." I said. "And it's better than doing nothing." I looked at Paisley.

Snape looked down at the ground as he thought some more. "Fine, I'll do it. But just so you both know, this won't last long-term." He went and sat down in his desk. "Now to what I've been thinking. I am going to discontinue her defensive lessons and replace them with apparation lessons. She is skilled enough to defend herself, but she needs to know how to apparate. Yes, there's a class, but that won't be as useful. It only teaches the basics."

"Do I have to?" She asked. "Every time I've apparated, I've thrown up."

"Yes, you have to. Headmaster's orders. I will send a letter on information tomorrow morning." He said. If seemed like this was a plan of his for while. "Now, you both have a feast to attend to"

"Aren't you going?" I asked.

"I will come later, now go along. I need to finish some things." He said before he waved his wand and opened the door at the other side of the room.