🦋 dominic74 🦋

[ 6:32 PM ]

i open my eyes, a pulse intensifying behind them as light shines on my face. i reach up and place a hand on my forehead; a nauseous feeling creeping up my throat.

in a swift moment i'm doubled over the edge of the cot, expelling the contents of my stomach; which isn't much.

i groan and lay on my back, staring at the ceiling of the room, recognizing where i am.

what the hell happened?

i hear a loud 'beep' and slowly turn my head to both entrance and exit.

ann walks in, the door sliding closed behind her. she again stands near it.

"i apologize about your brother mr.fike," she speaks confidently, her voice piercing my head like knives. it stabs against my temple over and over and over.

"what the fuck is going on?" i groan. "why do i feel like this?"

"you don't remember?" she asks, her voice pitching higher and intrigued.

i don't.

i remember asking for alex, and him walking in. he didn't seem right... everything else is a blur after that. until right now. "your brother attacked you mr.fike. he did you in real bad," she says, a hint of amusement hitting my ears. "we're very sorry."

"are you- are you really apologizing for turning him that way?" i question. even if i don't remember him attacking me, i remember his agitated and confused state. i remember him furious. "you turned my own brother against me!" i shout, ignoring the searing pain in my head. i wish i had enough strength to get out of this bed and fuck her up. but right place, right time i guess.

"mr.fike, you have to understand-"

"understand what?! that you want to be right? that you'll bend the truth to fit your narrative?"

"no. i got the results i wanted. i got the truth. there's nothing else to keep secret.

"but you didn't," i laugh. "you and i know that people will say whatever they want in survival situations."

"so many men have died trying to crack this strain she sent out. we want answers. the source. why is that so hard to give up?"

"i don't know the source! i never knew the source!"

"what do you know mr.fike?"

"that you're wasting your time! that you don't know me! and you don't know shit! your search for this mastermind won't end in success," i tell her.

she takes a few steps forward, smiling; no teeth.

the creepy way.

"i know more than you think i do mr.fike."

"yeah?" i challenge, "i don't think you do."

what i know is that we're unpredictable; soraya and i will destroy them when time comes.

ann stares me down.

"i only want to be your friend mr.fike."

i snort.

"you say that to my brother?"

"we're on the same side dominic. we only want a sustainable future after this virus goes through its death rate. in order for that, we need how she made it."

"what makes you think you're safe?"

"my team is immune to lots of shit."

"but MAX is new, is it not?" i question, wondering if they're really in a safe zone from the virus.

her stone face falters slightly, giving me my answer.

"i guess you see why we need the exact strain."

"but you're not getting it. you're blowing your chance huh? getting desperate."

"i'd be careful mr.fike."

"you sensitive?" i chuckle. "or am i striking a nerve?"

once again she raises her wrist to her mouth.

"sedative."