➗ matt63 ➗

[ 10:28 AM ]

i stumble into the living room to get a moment of silence. it's this sort of meditation ritual i do in the mornings. it helps my day; my emotions. i haven't been able to do it because we've been inside that cramped van.

i wipe at the sleep in my eyes letting out a yawn before noticing soraya sitting on the couch, leg bouncing up and down in a rhythmic manner.

i check the clock on the wall above the flat screen. it reads 10:28.

oh.

dom.

"you good ma?" i ask her, going to take a seat on the L-shaped sofa, a few feet away from her.

"yeah," she dismisses, not bothering to even look at me.

"doesn't look like it."

"i'm not talking to you about this."

"okay, well talk to me about your powers then."

"no. i-"

"you need to distract yourself. dom can handle his own. talk to me. you know i'm not bad," i smile.

she rolls her eyes.

"i think we agree to disagree on that one bucko." she pulls her legs up underneath her.

"i'll be your distraction. c'mon. you've got other shit to worry about than just him."

"i know!" she groans. "i don't even know where to start."

"start from the beginning."

she takes in a deep breath. she's still in the button up from yesterday. she looks exhausted and concerned.

"okay... the energy blasts. i got really mad and they just shot out of my hands. that was the first time something like that has ever happened."

"does it hurt?" i ask.

"no! my hands numb themselves. it's fucking crazy!"

"that's dope as fuck!"

"i shut the door of my room on my mom without being anywhere near it. that was my first sign of telekinesis."

"and all of this because you bumped into dom?"

"crazy right?" she asks, zoning out, "our bodies just... react to each other." she comes out of her trance. "and i'd never met him before that point."

"and apple has powers too," i point out.

"our energies connect. i don't know. i feel a newfound survival instinct. like i know things i've never known. it's weird. there's no direction to go in about the how."

"what do you mean no direction? comic books? movies? textbooks? leaked classified documents?" i list.

"alex searched for that and came up with nothing. we're on our own, like some kind of game or some shit."

"you think it's a game?" i ask.

"no," she sighs, "that's just me projecting. i want answers so bad. are we government property? are we human? there's so much unknown! i don't know if what we're doing is smart. dom doesn't have a clue how max could've contracted the virus. we don't have a clue how both of our moms were selected for the virus and none of us weren't. or how alex wasn't chosen, or apple, or grayson, or you," she rambles.

"maybe we're special?" i shrug.

i wondered myself why i was spared from the virus but not worthy of powers? or why only 1% of people are immune?

what made us special?

what made me special?

"maybe. it's terrifying. the world is ending in six days. nothing will be the same. we'll be on our own." she rubs her arms, hugging herself.

"i think we can handle a new world," i chuckle. "just doing whatever the hell we want when we want."

"anything can fucking happen."

"we've got the chosen two," i grin.

"no," she snorts, "no way we're chosen to do anything. we can't even stop the virus. i wish we could help. so many innocent people are being taken away."

"i don't know. i think it's cool you and dom have powers. it's about time something out of the ordinary happened."

"yeah? i don't know. it's scary."

she fades back into that void.

"hey, read me."

"huh?" she asks, popping out of the trance once more.

"read me! see my life story."

"i don't know what it is i do though," she says uneasy.

"c'mon! i'll be your practice."

"i don't know..."

i hold my hand out toward her. she stares at it.

"take a peek!" i grin.

she swallows her spit and moves closer to me, sitting on the edge of the couch. she slowly reaches her hand out to mine.

once her hand makes contact, her eyes exude a blinding white light. i shield my eyes with my other hand just as she gasps and snatches her hand away. her eyes returning to their natural state.

"YOU FUCKING IDIOT!"