🛠 grayson88 🛠

[ 1:32 AM ]

"this is it," i mumble to myself, packing a light bag of changing clothes. i probably won't need them. it'll be buried underneath waters and protein bars.

i grab ethan's expensive watch i bought for him as an appreciation gift. he didn't like to wear it in fear of it getting damaged, but it was his favorite accessory owned.

so i'll wear it. in honor of him and his legacy. and if i die with it on it'll be like we were laid to rest together.

i fit it onto my wrist and stare at it.

this is for you E. we're going to find out what happened to you. to mom. to cameron.

i shoulder my backpack and head down into the kitchen. i notice matt is sat on the couch, deep in thought.

"you good?" i ask him, unzipping my backpack open to throw a few waters inside. the weight of it grows heavier.

"she destroyed my phone bro! if i die, i didn't get a chance to say bye to my girl," he grumbles, "and we're just following her every move. what if she's leading us to our deaths?"

"don't let her hear-"

"maybe just you matt," ray states, walking into the livingroom with apple strapped to her back with the baby wrap i gave her. "you want to live? fight for your life."

"holy shit, you did it without my help!" i interrupt, highly impressed with her skill.

"yeah! she said she wanted to sleep. which confuses me because she was just up and ready to fight to get her brother back."

"she needs to process. she is seven," i tell her.

"yeah, you're right. are we ready?"

"yeah," i nod, dumping the protein bars inside my bag. "you ready?" i ask her back seeing as she's only carrying apple.

"all i need is apple, myself and maybe a gun. i'm hoping my powers come through for a girl."

i zip up my backpack and shoulder it once more.

matt stands, grabbing and shouldering the duffels on his own.

"i'm ready, let's go," he huffs.

"ohh, good boy," ray teases.

matt chips his lips and i try my best to hide my smile.

we make our way out of my home. who knows if we'll come back to see it. who knows if anyone will ever occupy this space again. either way, it's served it's purpose now.

i lock the door and give it two pats. i sigh and nod to myself before joining soraya and matt walking down the driveway.

the night is still in motion. street lamps illuminate our unknown path.

this could be my last time seeing any of these things.

i try to focus on the feeling rather than my running thoughts, but the longer we walk in silence, the louder they grow in my head.

"four days of the virus left. what do you think everything looks like?" i ask ray, uncertain of what we'll find on our way to my van.

i need someone to talk too.

"either a blood bath or most of everyone listened and stayed inside only to die in their homes," she responds.

"what we've seen already... could it have gotten worse?"

there were cars here and there on the side of the road. barely dead bodies in sight. but more people have died now. millions more.

"well electricity still works. i'm assuming people haven't died at the wheel and rammed into major things we need," ray says, "maybe people died in their homes. i don't know. all of this is straight up weird as fuck."

"no cap," matt includes.

"it just feels so quiet... lonely. no one is calling. texting. it stopped so quickly and we fell into a silent rhythm. it started to feel normal."

"it's because we're running from the government so our movements are scarce and quiet. i'm not sure we did much of a good job evading them but i'm done hiding. i'm ready for answers. why take both alex and dominic? what evidence do they have to support that we indeed caused the virus!" she shakes her head. "all i want is answers as to why we are the way we are. whoever did start the virus; they're smart. it very well could be the people we're running towards but that's okay. we're prepared."

"three against a thousand," matt grumbles.

she's right though. we are going into the belly of the beast but, we're strong as hell. we've overcome so much. even if i'm not ready, i'm going to have to be.

this is for dominic. all he wanted was for his family to be together. that was it.

"i'm with you ray. this is going to be the craziest thing i've done, but i'm fighting for the good. for the ones who can't," i tell her.

evil can't win. it just can't.

she smiles at me.

"thank you. the only thing that matters is getting dom, getting alex, and finally living our lives without looking over our shoulders. that's all i want at least."

yeah.

it'd be nice to live free, even if the world is dead around us.

it'll be our world.

i know it.